I need some encouragement

They do make chicken diapers but you have a lot of babies to diaper and I think it would lead to problems.

I would make a pallet coop and paint it to blend in Maybe camo or get creative and make it look like a crate. Label it with Timbuctu

Would they ticket you for a crate sitting in your yard? With all that land.....You don't have to call it a shed.....or a coop....how about a habitat!

Caroline

What is the latin for chicken?

In German chickens are Huhne ( who - na)

You could call it a "natural Huhne habitat"?

Caroline
cool.png

Last edited:
Around here a permit would be $20-30. Worst case; you build without a permit and they make you tear it down.

Building laws can vary wildly from state to state, county to county and even township to township. Here I need a permit if the square footage of the structure is over 12' x 12'... no matter how tall it is or even if it's on skids, or what it is used for.

Best wishes in finding out what you need to do to be legal. Try using the key phrases "Chicken coop/animal enclosure" and see if it makes a difference if it is a permanent fixed structure or not.

Quote:
Well that would stink. VERDICT OUT: any two boards puttogether with nails needs a permit. 40 bucks cause the city wants money. He said I could start building and just need to get in soon and pay.

You're too nice. I absolutely refuse to get a permit short of a huge building, garage, house, etc. I just don't ask
tongue.gif
I needed a whole bunch of plumbing done once, contractor told me I needed a permit, I was floored! For plumbing!? I got a different contractor.

Quote:
This is a very good loophole... er, I mean idea.

My coop is built on 6"x6" skids so we can move it if we want to. Because of this, not only did I not need a permit to build it, it also cannot be counted as a building when the county calculates my property taxes.

thumbsup.gif
WINNING!
thumbsup.gif

Lisa

As others mentioned, see if you can somehow cheat the system
wink.png
I don't want to advocate illegal behavior but I live in a fairly rural area too, and we basically do what we want out here. My thinking is along the lines of "my land, my rules".. We're not in city limits and the county is not very strict where we live. Definitely contact your local agency if you're concerned but I say screw it!
tongue.gif
take that, government!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom