I need some hand holding!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wild Chicken, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yesterday was day 18 of my very first hatch.....went to bed last night and humidity was 62%......woke up this morning to 3 pips and humidity at 32%......[​IMG] I FREAKED [​IMG] , added water, and brought the humidity up to 68% where it is at right now. When I got home there were 2 additional pips and lots of chirping. I have no idea when the humidity dropped, but now I'm worried that I have killed some of my babies. Do you think they should be alright....please, someone, anyone.......

Thanks in advance,

Amy

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Just make shure you keep the humidity up the rest of the time and you should be fine.
    Im shure someone will have more advice but Im bettting its ok.
    Dont open the bator though.

3. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWAY!!!!!!!!!!!
    don't even think for a sec that it killed anything.
    humidity isn't gonna kill them like that. the only way humidity could kill a chick in a shell is when it is like in the teens for a long time.

[​IMG] it's all gonna be ok!

4. Wild Chicken

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks girls.....I totally FREAKED [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] and had a hard time concentrating at work LOL!!! I think I drove my husband nuts because I called about 20 times.......I tried getting my boss to let me go home on "maternity leave"... [​IMG] ......he said no LOL!!!

Is the humidity OK in the upper 60's?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I think 60-70% is the avrage give or take [​IMG]

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    you are so fine. no freaking out allowed. thou must chill.

i try to stick to 60 - 65%. but, i hatch in a cabinet, so other eggs are in there that are not hatching. (staggered hatch.)

breath in. breath out. lather, rinse, repeat. [​IMG]

7. hobbychick

hobbychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    You and I are in the same boat. I am on day 19 and having trouble w/my humidity also. Maybe we can hold each others hand! [​IMG]
    I have no pips yet, but it is still early.

Good Luck!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:I think the "lather" part she already had... probably been sweating like a hard-rode horse during the work day... [​IMG] The "breathe in, breathe out" part she might have to work on to prevent hyperventilation, or anoxia from holding her breath! [​IMG]

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:I think the "lather" part she already had... probably been sweating like a hard-rode horse during the work day... [​IMG] The "breathe in, breathe out" part she might have to work on to prevent hyperventilation, or anoxia from holding her breath! [​IMG]

dang it. i just caused Wild Chicken to Hyperventilate, and Foam at The Mouth. i feel horrid. okay, not really horrid, but an eensy weensy bit.

okay! i'll admit it. i don't feel horrid at all.

but i still want her hatch to be uber blessed! [​IMG]

10. Wild Chicken

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think the hyperventilating part is pretty accurate!!! [​IMG] And thanks Miss Jayne for the reminder to breath!!! And Hobbychick....here's good vibes for your hatch!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

OK...nother question, about how long from pip to hatch??? [​IMG] This is KILLING me [​IMG]

Thanks for all the encouragement!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by