I need some help with this post....

Quote:
very very sneaky!
lol.png

hills and rollers don't mix too well. and the only good straight tree was amongst several others. I'll get it there, it's just going to be a pain. Nothing uphill but house and coop for most of the trip.

OK, i have a plan. I'll wait for a call from my ex. She'll put me in a right foul mood. All the pent up anger will give me the strength to just pick it up and stuff it in the ground.

Last edited:
Call your local electric company.

Ask them if they could recommend a company to set an electric/telephone pole.

In my areas if your house is too far from the street you have to have your own intermediate pole put in.

I wouldn't try this yourself, 600 lbs 18' in the air is nothing to fool around with.

Good luck,

David

Where are you?

Consider this unorthodox idea:
Find a local 4x4 offroading club. All the guys have very strong winches on their trucks and are used to getting their vehicles into and out of awkward locations and hills wouldn't phase them one single bit. They are very accustomed to moving large trees off the trail and have proper equipment to do so. I'd bet for some good BBQ sandwiches and beer they'd take care of it for you with a smile on their face.

Just a thought.

IMG_3698.jpg

Once you put an untreated tree trunk in the ground, it's only going to be a year or so before it rots off.

It would be easier to set a steel pole , or at least a treated 6 X 6 on an above ground pad of concrete if you want it to last

Then after you get it there, set it in cement, with about 2" in the bottom of the hole before you put the thing in. pour excess cement in so that it forms a hill and slopes down and away from the post to the ground. Here in Tenn, the termites would get it soon. I used 6" creosote poles set in cement for my coop and for the corner posts of pen too. I am 67 so it will outlast me.

When you call the electric co. about their post setting truck, ask them if they have any retired poles they want to get rid of.
The electric companies in this area give them away. Us pole takers save them the trouble of disposal which is probably a pain with all the laws and regulations.

The poles are treated and will never rot. My husband talked directly to the yard guy and Linemen (Not in the office where they may not know about available poles) and they saved us up a few trailer loads, so our horse fence posts are all retired power poles. We can get 3 nice sized posts out of each pole.

Like someone else said, the untreated tree will eventually rot off at ground level.

Back
Top Bottom