I need some help... :)

Now I just want more birds! All these bird and quail stories.
tongue.png

Quote:
lol! I'm gonna look up some feed mills in new hampshire near mt washington.
smile.png
I'm driving up there this weekend (hopefully) for a hikinggg trip
sad.png
. My poor Foo Foo will have to survive with my evil mom! She let the cat sniff Foo Foo
barnie.gif
he.gif
and the cat snatched she/he up in her mouth
ep.gif
. Of course, Foo Foo is now scared of me
sad.png
. How can I regain he/she's trust? Any suggestions?

oh, btw are english white coturnix smaller than wild types? And if so, do they have the same (calm) tempermant?

Quote:
ah ha! I heard about this but:
A. I'm a bit squeamish about bugs (except tarantulas)
B. I've heard you shouldn't start feeding them mealworms until they're 4 weeks old because they eat their toes thinking they're mealworms... Maybe only live ones?

I'll do my best with the mealworms tho.
big_smile.png
thanks!

yes, the 2nd is so true, i couldn't remember how old you said the bird was when i brought it up, but yea, its for adults only...good thing with the dried ones if you can just crush them down to crumble feed size and they will never know.

I don't know that English Whites are more calm that any other color. It really depends on the bird. I would spend lots of time with it. Even just sitting next to its cage and talking to it or just being around will help.

As they get used to seeing you, they will be less scared then you can try different things like treats.

Now is the time to start your mealworm colony. I never touch them either.
sickbyc.gif
I use chopsticks! Then my birds get target trained to the chopsticks. They see me holding the chopsticks and they come running to peck at the ends.

I buy a cup of 50 or 100 and then use an old take out container or plastic container with holes punched in the lid. Fill it 1/2 way with 50% oatmeal, 50% gamebird starter (or oatmeal and bran) and put in a bunch. Every so often, put in a slice of apple or other vegetable for a moisture source (slice potato, carrot peeling, cabbage). Not to much since it causes the dry stuff to get moldy. I scoop out any spoiled food. Then in a while, the mealworms will pupate and turn to beetles.

Quote:
K ill be getting some today probly.
smile.png
and he beetles will probably be fed to my tarantula. Now, how can I not touch the beetle...
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom