I need some ideas for homemade Christmas gifts

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
I am going to have another tight budget this year. I would love to hear some gift ideas. I have both grandkids and adult kids, boys and girls both young and old as well as my mother.

I always like the idea of a gift basket that makes a meal -- say, pancake mix, syrup, sausage, etc. Maybe precooked bacon. With home grown eggs of course.

Or a snack tray of crackers, sausages, jams, a few nuts, etc. Much cheaper to make your own than order one. Good for drop in guests or to scrounge a quick meal with.

For kids, last year each one got a homemade wood box with his name hand engraved on it -- nicely finished, of some old barn wood we had. About 9"x9"x4" with a hinged top.

Lots of other food ideas -- a bread mix ready to bake, flavored -- quick breads or soda breads require no kneading.

Young children need only hand draw and color a personal Christmas card.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my kids were little, they loved getting a decorated box that was made up to look like a mail box. We saved those address labels you get in the mail as well as the Easter Seals "stamps". They loved playing post office.

You might also learn to make hand made soaps. They make wonderful gifts and cost relatively little to do. Make floating soap balls for the kids and other types for the adults.

Sugar scrub makes a wonderfull luxury gift. Mix sugar and grape seed oil along with the scent of your choice, (vanilla extract works great), and seal in a mason jar.

Quote:
never heard of that one... i might try that!
smile.png

I've never turned down "HOMEMADE" fudge !

For the little girls on your list - - - you may be find some incredible deals at the dollar store.
Put together a little "pamper me" basket. Couple of bottles of nail polish, nail buffer, nail decals . . ..
This works for those older girls who you don't think would appreciate the fudge.

The big hit that I made for Christmas last year for a co-worker was a "bag" bear. I took a teddy bear that was wearing a dress, extended the dress to where it hung about 2 feet down, put a very tight elastic hole in the bottom, and a slit in the back of the dress. You really don't need the slit in the back though. It is used to hold those plastic grocery bags that we all seem to recycle. She, and all of my other co-workers who didn't get one, loved it. I am planning to make more for my other co-workers this year (if I can get a peek at their kitchens to try and match it).

Cookies in a jar are always popular with grandkids. If you go to budget101.com, they have tons of ideas for homemade Christmas presents. I am planning on doing some of their soup mixes in a jar for quick-fix dinners at home for my own pantry. Have fun with it!

Last year I made a rule for myself, everyone gets one used/recycled gift. I actually had a blast! Dh got a great hand crank meat slicer (with a new blade), One son rec a stained glass turtle lamp that I had rewired. You get the idea. I was trying to show the kids the value of money and that everything doesn't have to be new and high tech. Yes they did get other gifts. Homemade does count. This year some are getting jellies, jams, conserves and liquers. I love ebay, craigslist and amazon.

Those grocery bag holders/dispensers are the handiest things. I made one for myself about 20 years ago, for a closet, just a tube with a hole in both ends and a hanging strap, that I still use nearly daily. A little elastic scrap around the bottom hole is handy.

Quote:
I love this idea! Maybe this year the rule will be,'Nothing over five dollars, must be a yard sale item.'
I think that may be fun! One of the peeps in our area is having a chicken swap and craft bazaar this year. I am looking forward to that.
great thread!

Back
Top Bottom