I need some mom reassurances.

My first son was very thin as a baby. One thing I did when he started toddling around was to just have healthy snacks around, where he could get to it. Shredded cheese, diced ham or diced fruit that they could just pick up and eat on the go. Some little ones are just too busy to eat.

If you focus on eating too much, you'll end up with a child who is annoyed by eating! Be sort of casual about it.
wink.png

I'm not a doctor, but for them to compare her to your first, well, we're always told not to do that in regards to behavior. My friend has two daughters and the first is average and the youngest is petite. She is the same age as my daughter (8) but mine is taller than her, always has been. She is just small. She was a lousy eater as a toddler. My friend was always pushing her to eat more, and it was always a struggle. She's a healthy active little girl though.

I agree with the others who suggested a second opinion. Some things your doctor said to you would rub me the wrong way.

I think the problem with a lot of doctors is that they are stuck on the notion that big = healthy. You can be a very small person and be healthy, too.

My twins were born at 36.5 weeks (I only consider a baby "early" if its mother was induced or had a planned c-section with no labor prior), and they were both small. 4 lbs, 2 oz. and 5 lbs, 6 oz.

I don't believe they were small because they were born before 38-40 weeks. I think they're just going to be small people. I'm short (5' 2") and dad is skinny (5' 11" and 115-120 lbs). They're now 8 months old, the first twin is 13 lbs and 24.5 inches long, and the second is 14.5 lbs and 25 inches long. I am still EBFing them, and they nurse constantly. But still growing at a steady rate of 1/2-1 pound per month.

EDIT: And no, not all twins are small because they're twins. I know someone that just had identical twin girls at 35 weeks gestation, and they were 5 lbs, 12 oz and 7 lbs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Her genetic background is pretty boring. No birth defects, no one ill or ever having any eating or metabolic issues, no thyroid issues, no cancer, no nothing really. Both sides are really over all healthy but some of us are on the small side. I was being watched for being underweight till I was 6. My mom actually was sent to a special hospital over the summer in Austria because she stayed so underweight. That did not change till she had kids. Most of us are on the petite side. We get chunky later in life but all pretty short. My mom is not even 5 foot tall. Problem is they are comparing her to my first. He has been 100th percentile on all fronts since birth. He is 10 and 5'1".

And there you have it. She is following the path set by the genes she inherited from you. If the doctors are not aware of this information, make sure they have it. Send them a letter staing all of this, give as many specifics as possible and ask that it be placed in her records.

shes active and she bruises easily I dont find that really alarming my son is 4 and hes covered in scratches and a few bruises its summer and he climbs on everything he can outside.

for picky eatters i have heard to give small portions and let them pick and try like grazing its more appealing than being set down 3 meals a day. how about peanut butter if shes not allergic its good with banana yogurt makes a nice kid friendly smoothie and freezes well in ice pop molds too.

They have the information, I was told it was not pertinent. That she needed to be higher on the precentiles regardless. She is up a bit in weight thankfully. Not much but little by little. New pediatricians I think will not see any issue.

We are drinking milkshakes spiked with carnation instant breakfast. milk spiked with carnation instant breakfast. The highest calorie everything i can find. Not low fat hot dogs, meatballs, or cheese for us. Everything is high fat. She eats nutella and peanut butter. I try to stay away from pasta usually but as of late its served every meal. I make a small portion so the rest of us don't indulge too much but I want her to get as much as she can. Food has taken over our lives right now. All I do it seems is feed her and keep her from falling while she runs and climbs. Pretty worn out.

Heather this is where you need to take a deep breath. Food should not be taking over your life. If she had a severe food allergy that would be one thing. This is just low weight. Maybe you should seek a second opinion for your own sake.

And try the Ensure or Pediasure. Instant breakfast is good, Ensure is more tailored.

Quote:
Her genetic background is pretty boring. No birth defects, no one ill or ever having any eating or metabolic issues, no thyroid issues, no cancer, no nothing really. Both sides are really over all healthy but some of us are on the small side. I was being watched for being underweight till I was 6. My mom actually was sent to a special hospital over the summer in Austria because she stayed so underweight. That did not change till she had kids. Most of us are on the petite side. We get chunky later in life but all pretty short. My mom is not even 5 foot tall. Problem is they are comparing her to my first. He has been 100th percentile on all fronts since birth. He is 10 and 5'1".

And there you have it. She is following the path set by the genes she inherited from you. If the doctors are not aware of this information, make sure they have it. Send them a letter staing all of this, give as many specifics as possible and ask that it be placed in her records.

I agree with Sonoran Silikes. Different children in a family can take after different relatives. I have three boys, two teens and one grown. Two of them are 6' tall, and the youngest is well on his way. My daughter however, is only 5' 1". She's healthy, just very petite. She takes after my dh's maternal side, where the women are very small. I wouldn't worry about it too much if your dd is eating, active, and doing the things healthy children do.

Back
Top Bottom