I need the knowledge of the BYC community...pasty butt advice.

I agree. Coconut oil to the chick.
For me, I would also provide a tiny amount of grit and wet feed. PND is good to give, it has a little molasses in it which can help them go, plus the quick uptake of vitamins to give a boost. For tiny chicks I would give 2-3 drops a day. Fresh water.

Coconut Oil, anti-inflammatory ointment, prep H, honey, vaseline...all these can be used on an inflamed vent. IF terribly bad, scabbed, bleeding, etc. After cleaning, I would dab a small amount of Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine on the vent, let that dry some, then apply your ointment of choice.

Hopefully none will be too bad off. Keep us posted on how it goes.

For me, I would also provide a tiny amount of grit and wet feed. PND is good to give, it has a little molasses in it which can help them go, plus the quick uptake of vitamins to give a boost. For tiny chicks I would give 2-3 drops a day. Fresh water.

Coconut Oil, anti-inflammatory ointment, prep H, honey, vaseline...all these can be used on an inflamed vent. IF terribly bad, scabbed, bleeding, etc. After cleaning, I would dab a small amount of Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine on the vent, let that dry some, then apply your ointment of choice.

PND....Something Nutri-Drench?

Will do. Last time I did a pasty rescue, I got one case that looked bad but turned out to be nothing (the poo was caked in a lumpy circle AROUND the vent...nothing blocking. Would've progressed, but I didn't let it.) two cases that were not too bad (the chicks were still able to squirt a little poo up) and one little weak girl who had clearly been plugged up and not tended to for hours. She had a grape's worth of matted, dried poo sealing up her vent and covering her fluff. No idea how she got so messy. Anyways, she took me nearly an hour in all to clean up, with trips to-and-from the hottest spot in the brooder to keep her warm. After I finished cleaning, she first dumped a GIANT turd on the table, then took a big drink of water. But she had a slight prolapse...and strained to poop. It cracked, bled, and scabbed each time she pooped. It got better quick, but she was obviously kinda miserable.

Thank you for the information. Since prolapse is so common with these poor pasty chicks, it's good to know I'll be a little more prepared.

Will do. Last time I did a pasty rescue, I got one case that looked bad but turned out to be nothing (the poo was caked in a lumpy circle AROUND the vent...nothing blocking. Would've progressed, but I didn't let it.) two cases that were not too bad (the chicks were still able to squirt a little poo up) and one little weak girl who had clearly been plugged up and not tended to for hours. She had a grape's worth of matted, dried poo sealing up her vent and covering her fluff. No idea how she got so messy. Anyways, she took me nearly an hour in all to clean up, with trips to-and-from the hottest spot in the brooder to keep her warm. After I finished cleaning, she first dumped a GIANT turd on the table, then took a big drink of water. But she had a slight prolapse...and strained to poop. It cracked, bled, and scabbed each time she pooped. It got better quick, but she was obviously kinda miserable.

Thank you for the information. Since prolapse is so common with these poor pasty chicks, it's good to know I'll be a little more prepared.
So there’s hope for a mild prolapse???? I can handle dealing with it and the others aren’t bugging it, but I don’t want to keep prolonging suffering if it comes to that

So there’s hope for a mild prolapse???? I can handle dealing with it and the others aren’t bugging it, but I don’t want to keep prolonging suffering if it comes to that
I think there is definitely hope. Mine was more irritated than prolapsed - not really any internal tissue extruding.
Maybe post some pics on this thread and the experts I tagged can help. Is the baby getting any better?

Back
Top Bottom