I need the knowledge of the BYC community...pasty butt advice.

Pics

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
So, I plan to go back to my local Wilco in 15 days to buy any pasty butts they have and fix them up.
I know how to fix up pasty butt - warm water, gentle handling...you clear the blockage and check for repeat pasting. But there are members out there with more knowledge than me, so I have some questions I'd like y'all to help me answer!
Here goes...
How do I go about treating a recurring prolapse in a chick? I had a slight prolapse in a past pasty chick, and I had a bit of a difficult time treating it. It wasn't severe at all, but it did bleed and scab and cause the chick pain. I want to know ways to help prevent this.
What other methods of constipation/pasty butt cures are there out there? Because I know the issue isn't always resolved when the blockage is removed. The chick can have internal constipation/blockages...how can I get things moving? I've heard about coconut oil....is that any good?
Has anyone ever treated a very severe pasty butt case and had it live? With the exception of one, what I've dealt with so far hasn't been much more than mild cases. If you have brought a severe case back from the brink, how did you do it, what issues did you run into, and what should I expect?

I may post more questions in the comments here.

TIA!

The advantage of using coconut oil, besides it having natural antifungal and antibiotic properties, is it can be made solid by chilling. Years ago, olive oil was the favorite oil to use for chicken medical applications here on BYC, but there was always the inherent risk of aspiration if the oil happened to get into the airway. And it was a messy process trying to get more of the oil into a chicken than on yourself. One day it dawned on me that coconut oil had the added advantage of being solid when cooled below room temp, and even easier to handle when chilled.

I also discovered that the unrefined virgin coconut oil tasted good and chickens liked the flavor and would often willingly eat the dose from my hand. When treating a tiny chick, it's especially hard to get liquid oil into it safely. A chilled piece of coconut oil is easy and safe to slip into the tiny beak. Therefore, I've been recommending coconut oil as the chicken first aid oil for all ages of chickens.

Following along because I’m struggling 😅 I am covered in coconut oil, preparation H, and my cute fluffy chick looks just as messy as I do lol

Funny story: Ordered the PrepH curb side at Walmart. Only thing in the order… I get this completely bundled up package! Dark tyvek package, triple wrapped, the usual grocery bag wrapped snuggly around the cardboard packaging so nothing could be seen. Guess they take their discrete packaging seriously?

I agree. Coconut oil to the chick.
For me, I would also provide a tiny amount of grit and wet feed. PND is good to give, it has a little molasses in it which can help them go, plus the quick uptake of vitamins to give a boost. For tiny chicks I would give 2-3 drops a day. Fresh water.

Coconut Oil, anti-inflammatory ointment, prep H, honey, vaseline...all these can be used on an inflamed vent. IF terribly bad, scabbed, bleeding, etc. After cleaning, I would dab a small amount of Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine on the vent, let that dry some, then apply your ointment of choice.

Hopefully none will be too bad off. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Show them to Odder!! They are precious!
Okay! This is my baby-
3F9721C7-030D-4751-AEDD-E983C33EB5A4.jpeg
And this is Bean’s-
09052FDB-AA78-493E-ADD5-BFEB73ED94E1.jpeg

Coconut oil works wonders for removal, and a small bead fed to the bird also helps lubricate the vent on the way out when it passes. Good luck! I’ve had a few cases with my chicks and coconut oil is now in my chick supply room forever.
Thank you! I'll move our jar over to the chick room.

Back
Top Bottom