I need to feed my chicken sunflower seeds, can they eat them with the shell

Interesting as I've been feeding Purina Flock Raiser for a while now. Fingers crossed! As for seeds/nuts going rancid storing in the freezer or refrigerator keeps them fresher. I live in the South & store all nuts & seeds that way.
I switched from Dumors to Purina Layer feed with Omega including the Scratch. They absolutely LOVE it. Knock on wood (my head) I haven't had any problems. In fact, their plumage is vibrant in color, soft and fluffy!
I bought Dumor scratch again just to try one more time and I returned it. They would not even touch it! Spoiled Brats. I even read on here somewhere that Purina makes it for TS.
IDK.

I switched from Dumors to Purina Layer feed with Omega including the Scratch. They absolutely LOVE it. Knock on wood (my head) I haven't had any problems. In fact, their plumage is vibrant in color, soft and fluffy!
I bought Dumor scratch again just to try one more time and I returned it. They would not even touch it! Spoiled Brats. I even read on here somewhere that Purina makes it for TS.
IDK.
Yeah the layer feed has the marigold in it to color the eggs & birds. My buff orpington isn't as golden, but lays more eggs. I remember years ago I had red factor canaries & used paprika, cayenne, chili powder to keep them vibrant red. I saw a "warm weather" organic feed recently at 18% protein, but 1st ingredient was corn & the fat content was twice that of both Purina Layer & Flock Raiser so decided to stick with the Purina figure they've been in the business of feeding animals much longer.

Not to butt in on a different topic, but I'm in the hot muggy South as well. Do you offer this to prevent heat stress? My little guys are only 11 weeks and haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood).
You're not butting in - this is why we are all here - to share knowledge, learn, chat, exchange ideas, etc. So, yes I use as a preventive & in fact Save-A-Chick was the first fluid I offered when I brought them home from the feed store at just a few days old. I live in NE FL & it's been hot & humid since February plus we had no Winter.

You're not butting in - this is why we are all here - to share knowledge, learn, chat, exchange ideas, etc. So, yes I use as a preventive & in fact Save-A-Chick was the first fluid I offered when I brought them home from the feed store at just a few days old. I live in NE FL & it's been hot & humid since February plus we had no Winter.
Yes, I offer it x1-2 weekly because of the very hot and humid atmosphere here on the Space Coast of Florida. The humidity/heat is often unbearable outside in the afternoon. I can be outside for 15 minutes and be soaken wet with sweat dripping in my eyes. It's pretty bad.
The poor girls hide out under the trees and under the boat in the dusty dirt/sand. They have an airy coop and a shade covered run but, they like the these spots better so, I let them outside to fluff about in the dirt!
I have water buckets in various locations and depending where they are, I put an ice block in it throughout the day.
Even my King Shepard that likes to be out with them can't stand the heat and wants to come inside. After all she is an inside dog.

Yes, I offer it x1-2 weekly because of the very hot and humid atmosphere here on the Space Coast of Florida. The humidity/heat is often unbearable outside in the afternoon. I can be outside for 15 minutes and be soaken wet with sweat dripping in my eyes. It's pretty bad.
The poor girls hide out under the trees and under the boat in the dusty dirt/sand. They have an airy coop and a shade covered run but, they like the these spots better so, I let them outside to fluff about in the dirt!
I have water buckets in various locations and depending where they are, I put an ice block in it throughout the day.
Even my King Shepard that likes to be out with them can't stand the heat and wants to come inside. After all she is an inside dog.
:frow Hi fellow Floridian! 🍊🌴

I live in NE FL & it's been hot & humid since February plus we had no Winter.

I'm in southern Mississippi. Our seasons are: springish, summer, not-so-summer, less summer

The humidity/heat is often unbearable outside in the afternoon. I can be outside for 15 minutes and be soaken wet with sweat dripping in my eyes.

I know your pain. It's that bad here, too. I'll be standing in the shade and feel the sweat roll down my sides after a minute or two; no exertion required.

I had to change out the litter in their coop because they were inside more with all the rain this past week. Even with no rain water getting inside, everything was molding. Even the roof.

I'll add some of my "Poultry Cell" to their water in the morning. Thanks!

I'm in southern Mississippi. Our seasons are: springish, summer, not-so-summer, less summer

I know your pain. It's that bad here, too. I'll be standing in the shade and feel the sweat roll down my sides after a minute or two; no exertion required.

I had to change out the litter in their coop because they were inside more with all the rain this past week. Even with no rain water getting inside, everything was molding. Even the roof.

I'll add some of my "Poultry Cell" to their water in the morning. Thanks!
Mold is hard on chickens and people!...can't imagine why your roof would be molding.

Back
Top Bottom