I NEED to keep my rooster quiet

So it sounds like you just need to keep him from bothering people too badly for a few weeks.
Yep that’s all, or I hopefully less than that. I posted him on Craigslist and someone mentioned 4H.
Maybe put him in a cage or pen inside your own house? It might reduce how much of the sound reaches your neighbors.
I’m thinking that too since I’m putting him in show and want to get him used to being handled.
At night, roosters often crow in response to hearing sounds (including other roosters), or seeing lights (like car headlights or flashlights). So if you can arrange that his sleeping area is dark and quiet, it might reduce how often he crows at night. (Or maybe not. Chickens are individuals, and some do things differently than others.)
I think I’ll cover him up at night and see how that works out. I have two very different girls when it comes to that so I understand you. One cries if covered because her body knows when to wake up. The other will stay cuddled up in darkness for so long that I have to wake her up.
Thank you!

who is this rooster bothering? have your neighbors complained?
Not as of yet, and I’ve had roosters for two years on and off. I had a larger bird that this serama since it was a Silkie bantam- he was louder. When I got him in the car to give him away my neighbor made a comment on how he’d hear him before. I could tell he was a little frustrated? Maybe? I like my neighbors so I feel absolutely terrible at the thought of bothering them.
As I said I’ve had other males crow, 5 total, and haven’t been in trouble for it. It’s just that this little guy is so incessant all of a sudden!

I have two males as of now and the separated one became alpha when I sold off the others. I separated this guy to be alone so that the other would get a boost in testosterone. It’s worked out now that he’s not competing for food— his comb is larger and he mates with females.
I gave the problem roo a female since he literally won’t stop crying all day and night. I feel bad for him since he doesn’t want to be separated. So I was wondering how to help him out and in turn help out my possibly poor neighbors.

Not as of yet, and I’ve had roosters for two years on and off. I had a larger bird that this serama since it was a Silkie bantam- he was louder. When I got him in the car to give him away my neighbor made a comment on how he’d hear him before. I could tell he was a little frustrated? Maybe? I like my neighbors so I feel absolutely terrible at the thought of bothering them.
As I said I’ve had other males crow, 5 total, and haven’t been in trouble for it. It’s just that this little guy is so incessant all of a sudden!

I have two males as of now and the separated one became alpha when I sold off the others. I separated this guy to be alone so that the other would get a boost in testosterone. It’s worked out now that he’s not competing for food— his comb is larger and he mates with females.
I gave the problem roo a female since he literally won’t stop crying all day and night. I feel bad for him since he doesn’t want to be separated. So I was wondering how to help him out and in turn help out my possibly poor neighbors.
you’re allowed to have roosters. so instead of stressing about possibly bothering your neighbors, why don’t you go talk to them about your roosters?

see if there’s an actual problem, rather than a perceived problem, before you go through the trouble of rehoming.

see if there’s an actual problem, rather than a perceived problem, before you go through the trouble of rehoming.

This is a good point.

When I had my in-town flock -- with a rooster -- I discovered that the neighbor on one side had grown up on a farm and loved hearing Marion crowing while the neighbor on the other side figured that if we didn't mind their muscle car they didn't mind our rooster. :D

you’re allowed to have roosters. so instead of stressing about possibly bothering your neighbors, why don’t you go talk to them about your roosters?

I don’t have enough space for the other breeds I want to get, so it’s not so big a deal. He came from a big hatch and developed late with the other male cause there was another alpha. When I got the clutch I was already set on rehoming a large number anyways.

I don’t have enough space for the other breeds I want to get, so it’s not so big a deal. He came from a big hatch and developed late with the other male cause there was another alpha. When I got the clutch I was already set on rehoming a large number anyways.
i think you’re missing my point.

good luck with your rooster

Back
Top Bottom