I need to switch dog foods. Help on brands?

well, I've tried many kinds and either they made his coat dull or worse made him ill. I wanted something that was healthy and full of protein so I chose "hunters brand" only my dog started having seisures so I wouldn't use that one. He also started losing hair. once I changed his food he quit having seisures and hair loss. Then I tried science and pedigree both expensive! Now my dog loves purinas "come and get it" and sometimes to change it up a bit he likes purinas "alpo gravy". Its cheap and has the same ingredients as the expensive brands. Most important he'll eat it and he's healthy! I have a black lab and his coat is so shiny! My neighbor has a lab also and has asked how I get his coat so shiny. Hope this helps.

I was also feeding Natural Balance and loved it. I switched to Max dog to save a little money and still get the good nutrition. I would not go with the sams club brand...I seen what that stuff is made out of
sickbyc.gif

I feed mine raw and have been more than happy for years. If I had to feed kibble I would use Costco's brand. It contains good quality ingrediants as does Trader Joe's dog food, and they are both affordable. As for the cheaper brands, in particular the dirt cheap brands, the only reason dogs will even eat it is because it is sprayed with, or immersed in, 'flavour enhancers'! Usually this is recycled, a.k.a. rancid, restruant grease. A doggy version of candy coated sawdust.

This information was first disclosed by Ann A. Martin in her book 'The Foods Pets Die For' quite a few years ago. Things haven't changed much since except for the the high end brands - and not all of them as recent pet foods recalls illustrate.

Last edited:
We did the Nutro Max brand for a while, but it made my 4 yo throw up. Plus I read a bunch online about it causing liver and kidney issues. That's actually why I switched to the Natural Balance.

I'll head to the grocery store this afternoon and start reading some labels. Purina One may be out best bet, but I want to go look at Sam's. We don't have a local Costco or I'd check that out too.

Thanks for the advice all.

edited to say that it made my 4yo DOG throw up. I don't have a 4yo child and if I did I would hope that they wouldn't be eating the dog's food.
smile.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm currently paying $35 for a 40lb bag of Natural Balance. I'm looking to cut that cost without hurting the dogs' health. Sigh... I know I'm a nut for stressing over them, but they are my babies.

I agree with the PEDIGREE get the large breed style it comes with Gloucosamine, which is spose to help with bone and joint problems. Lots of purebreed, and larger dogs tend to have problems with hips etc... and its not real expensive $18-20 per bag, and we save another couple dollars with coupon from the paper. Like also said earlier if you have a petco check thier prices they are usually the same as Wally World, and after 10 bags you get one free.

edited to add, the pedigree didnt bother our labs stomach, she couldnt do the PURINA ONE

Last edited:
The main things to look for when buying a dog food is that the first thing in it is meat. NOT MEAT byproduct, or bone mill or corn.

Corn is a filler, meaning it is used to take up space, it doesn't really give that much to the animal, it's like eating junk. Corn also give alot of dogs gas and dry skin. (many dogs have allergies to corn)

Nutro is a good food. No meat by products no fillers and it's not as pricey as some of the other higher quality foods.

I personally LOVE solid Gold dog food. it's a little pricer but keep in mind the higher quality the food is the LESS food you will be feeding your dog, there for you are SAVING money and having to buy LESS food. If you buy Dog chow it might be dirt cheap, but your dogs will get dry skin gas and poop more, and you will be feeding them more food. They poop more cus the food has more fillers and things the body will just pass rather then use.

Always keep the feeding amounts in mind when selecting food. Sure a 50lb bag of food A might be cheaper but not when you have to feed 4 cups of it instead of just 1 cup. You get the idea.

Good luck.

Here is a list of the food I personally think don't suck:
Innova
Natural Balance
Wellness
Solid Gold
Canidae
Pinnacle
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
Blue Buffalo
Newman's Own
Merrick
Nature's Variety
Back to Basics
California Natural
Eagle Pack Holistic
Flint River Ranch
Go Natural
Avoderm
Nutro Ultra

Some of these foods are easier to find then others. Keep in mind that higher quality food are often only at pet stores not at grocery stores

Back
Top Bottom