I need to switch dog foods. Help on brands?

A few years ago I switched my dogs to raw. I have 50, 65, and 90 pound dogs. I feed 33lbs of leg quarters every 10 days and it costs me $13 for the box at the local tyson plant. I also feed organ meat and other scraps.

I used to feed Purina One, but due to the number of dogs I have and the cost I switched to another Purina product. It is called Country Acres High Protein, I get it from the local feed mill. It is a 50 pound bag for about $19. It has worked well for all of mine

I think that it would help you to do some research on this website:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

You can type in your current dog food and see how they rate it, and why. Do it with any foods you are considering switching to as well.

For the money, I think you could not go wrong with the Costco/Kirkland brand kibble.

Like mentioned by another poster, your dogs need a food that has meat as the first ingredient. BUT make sure it is a named meat (ie - chicken, lamb, beef, etc) and it does not say "meat meal" or anything that is not a named meat. That is bad news for your pet.

A dog is what they eat. Feed the best quality that you can afford, and add your healthy table scraps when you can.

I feed Purina Pro Plan.

I also like Nutro's Natural Choice. I have also tried Nutro's Ultra line but I didn't notice any change from their natural choice food.

Costco's food is high quality for the price.

I could make a long list of the foods I don't like, but the ones above are good food.

I use Costco's store brand and have for years. I use the chicken and rice one but they also have a lamb and rice. I've considered the raw diet but just havent had the time to really research it yet.

I feed Costco brand. It grades out at an A- and costs me about $21 for a 40lb bag. I had mine on pedigree large breed puppy, but both my dogs were throwing up while on that. No problems with the Costco stuff, they look great and my wallet feels better too, lol.

I really have liked Bil-Jac that is made here in Ohio. Raised my pup on it, and he is very healthy. It is rather expensive, but since I only have 2 small dogs at the moment, I don't have to buy too often. I'm adopting a medium sized dog for an outside chicken guard, and I'll probably put him on something else. Nice to hear your recommendations.

I would have to say that I think that Purina One is a good food, it is very similar to Proplan which is a good food. It is less expensive, but still a really good food. Don't get anything that has corn as a first ingredient! That is no good. Anything with chicken, turkey, lamb or whatever as a first ingredient is good. Purina is a good brand, but they have several different foods and the ingredients are different for each food so make sure you take a minute to look.

I am currently using ProPac Holistic- seems good already with coat, plus there is a bit of Glucosomine and Chondrointin ( sp??) in it for their achey hips. For a 16 lb. bag is was $22. That will last my 2 Springers about 2 weeks, no scraps from table either. What size is the $35 bag? A lot of dog food companies have kept the price but reduced the amount recently by almost 5 lbs in some.
Stay away from corn if nothing else.

Good luck

We feed Diamond Maintainence. Yes, it is not the premium stuff, but in my opinion its better than the supermarket brands, and it is affordable. We pay $22 for 50 lbs at our local feed store. Our dogs are very healthy and have beautiful coats.

Back
Top Bottom