I need your expert opinions, yet again. (updated pictures/ new pictures)

micheleomal

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Eastern Idaho
The red EE with the grey head has no comb development, but long feathers near it's long skinny tail. It is rather aggressive towards the other chicks. 11 weeks old.
The white chick with the grey head has no comb development, but has red pathces on its back. It has shorter feathers near its long, skinny tail. 9 weeks old

The black and white EE has changed his/her color pattern so many times since hatching. Several weeks ago there were barred patches on the shoulder area. Now just speckles. It had a long tail, but those feathers fell out and a shorter one is growing back. Still football shaped compared to the other EEs. Hackle and saddle feathers? I've gotten opinions of girl and boy over the weeks due to color, feathers but there is still no comb development. It is now 11 weeks old
All 3 of these chicks have pink "comb" areas but are smooth to the touch. The black and white one is hard to get past the black pattern on the hackle feathers which make them look pointier than they really are, but they are not round. Farmer's Market is in 2 weeks and I was hoping to know who was going to be sold and what sex they are. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'm still not sure about that black and white one. I sure hope she is a she. I hatched her out of a cracked egg with tape over the crack. Her name is Cracker. I love the black beard on the white breast.

The Farmers Market is 4 days away and I need to figure out who I'm keeping and who I'm selling and what sex they are. This BR is 10 weeks old, hatchery stock. It is the largest chick and one of the youngest. What do you think, pullet or cockeral?

This SLW is also 10 wks old, hatchery stock. I had a SLRW once and it had a much fluffier, rounder look as a chick. This one has a long, skinny tail. Pullet or cockeral?

This little golden EE is 10 wks old. I think she's a pullet, I just need confirmation.

This black and white EE, Cracker, has been on this post in the beginning. Now she(?) is 13 wks. Still a pullet?

Willow is also an updated picture, now at 13 weeks. Long pointy tail. Still looking like a pullet?

This blue headed white EE is Lily. S/He is 10 wks. That tail concerns me but I can't find any pointy feathers. It also has some reddish feathers on it's wings but not on the shoulder. Pullet or cockeral? All the EE chicks have reddish comb areas but no comb development, quite smooth in fact.

Thanks for all the help on these posts. These are the first chicks I've every hatched and it is such a HUGE learning experience. If you could give a reason for you opinions it would be helpful. Cracker especially has been a real challenge to sex. I've had differing opinions each time I've posted since s/he has changed feathering patterns so much. The pea combed EE are especially challenging.

The Farmers Market is 4 days away and I need to figure out who I'm keeping and who I'm selling and what sex they are. This BR is 10 weeks old, hatchery stock. It is the largest chick and one of the youngest. What do you think, pullet or cockeral?

This SLW is also 10 wks old, hatchery stock. I had a SLRW once and it had a much fluffier, rounder look as a chick. This one has a long, skinny tail. Pullet or cockeral?

This little golden EE is 10 wks old. I think she's a pullet, I just need confirmation.

This black and white EE, Cracker, has been on this post in the beginning. Now she(?) is 13 wks. Still a pullet?

Willow is also an updated picture, now at 13 weeks. Long pointy tail. Still looking like a pullet?

This blue headed white EE is Lily. S/He is 10 wks. That tail concerns me but I can't find any pointy feathers. It also has some reddish feathers on it's wings but not on the shoulder. Pullet or cockeral? All the EE chicks have reddish comb areas but no comb development, quite smooth in fact.

Thanks for all the help on these posts. These are the first chicks I've every hatched and it is such a HUGE learning experience. If you could give a reason for you opinions it would be helpful. Cracker especially has been a real challenge to sex. I've had differing opinions each time I've posted since s/he has changed feathering patterns so much. The pea combed EE are especially challenging.

Back
Top Bottom