1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I needed to get this off my chest, it hurts

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lowry075, Nov 19, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    My favorite aunt and uncle are elderly now. They met as teenagers and have been utterly devoted to one another for more than sixty years. I see them every few months or so, and visited them in August. It was a visit we had planned over the phone, and when we arrived, they were suprised, but welcoming. They had forgotten the visit. I forget tthings, get days mixed, so no biggie.

My cousin posted a request for boxes on FB, and I knew my uncle told me, over the phone about a month ago, that they were selling their condo to live in an assisted living facility becuase their condo had stairs, and he had fallen a few times. I was sad for them, but relieved they would be someplace safer. I knew my cousin's box request was for this move, so I messaged her that I would be praying for the move to go smoothly and that they would be happy in the new place.

She messaged me back and told mt that my aunt was suffering from dementia. That it had been developing for about two years, but my uncle either was in denial or was hiding it from the family. She told me I could viist, that my aunt would still recognize me, but to wait a week to contact my uncle because he was in a catatonic state after attempting to take his life becuase he is losing my aunt to demetia. He was put on anti depressants and they are hoping they will revive him in a week or or so.My uncle is a christian man, they both are chirstians, and are the most beautiful example of my faith I could ever hope to know. They don't swear, don't gossip, are kind and generous, and God help me, this breaks my heart in half. He is all I have left of my father, who died in 1987. I cannot bear to think of him suffering through this. I NEVER imagined she would lose her grip on reality. I worried about one of them dying before the other.

I know none of you know me, but I cannot stop thinking about this and just needed to vent, I guess.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

3. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Just want to say I am sorry you all are going through this. [​IMG]

4. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Time takes a toll on us all.

Do not dwell on their illness today, but cherish the memories they
    have given you. And you honor them by letting them know that they
    have touched your life forever.

Spook...who hears you well

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh my, i am so sorry! It is so hard watching our loved ones get older and suffer. i've been through it far too many times. Hang in there and try to be strong for them. And come here as often as you need to share your feelings. i know many of us here will understand.

6. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    [​IMG]

7. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    [​IMG]

8. Luizy23

Luizy23 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    u will get better![​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    [​IMG]

Thank goodness they have family that loves them and cares about them

10. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    HUGS. BIG HUGS!

I am the caregiver for my 86 year old mom. I have had the privilege of caring for her for 3 years sharing stories, fixing the worlds' problems and generally clucking about whatever comes up.
    She has recently started to go downhill healthwise and is now basically in the palliative stage.
    Her mind is still as sharp as a tack and she knows she is near the end. She welcomes it really as each day is such a struggle as she loses ground.
    I sometimes think if her mind could go with the body wouldn't that be kinder? I guess nothing is easy about losing our loved ones and it will hurt however it happens.
    Let go and let God ! He is our strength.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by