I now have poisin ivy because of my coop...

I feel so sorry for you. I had poison oak rash all over one summer (the whole summer - the summer before I was getting married) and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I hope yours goes away fast.

There is a product called TECNU that works really well as a preventative and as a treatment. They sell it at Home Depot and Ag supply stores. Ivarest works good too.
Hope you feel better soon!

Quote:
TECNU used to have a product called TECNU Armor that they sold as a preventative, but I think it's off the market. Too bad really, I went looking for it a few weeks ago and ended up calling them when I couldn't find it. If your stores still have some, stock up.

TECNU still sells treatment products, which work when you use them pretty soon after exposure.

Poison ivy can be a real serious problem. I am horribly affected by it. Anytime I think I may have come in contact with it I was with a grease releasing detergent like Dawn dish soap.

Myth- Poison Ivy rash is contagious. Fact Rubbing the rashes won't spread poison ivy to other parts of your body (or to another person). You spread the rash only if urushiol oil -- the sticky, resinlike substance that causes the rash -- has been left on your hands.
Myth You can catch poison ivy simply by being near the plants Fact Direct contact is needed to release urusiol oil. Stay away from forest fires, direct burning, or anything else that can cause the oil to become airborne such as a lawnmower, trimmer, etc.
Myth Leaves of three, let them be Fact Poison sumac has 7 to 13 leaves on a branch, although poison ivy and oak have 3 leaves per cluster.
Myth Do not worry about dead plants Fact Urushiol oil stays active on any surface, including dead plants, for up to 5 years.
Myth Breaking the blisters releases urushiol oil that can spread Fact Not true. But your wounds can become infected and you may make the scarring worse. In very extreme cases, excessive fluid may need to be withdrawn by a doctor.
Myth I've been in poison ivy many times and never broken out. I'm immune. Fact Not necessarily true. Upwards of 90% of people are allergic to urushiol oil, it's a matter of time and exposure. The more times you are exposed to urushiol, the more likely it is that you will break out with an allergic rash. For the first time sufferer, it generally takes longer for the rash to show up - generally in 7 to 10 days.

Quote:
I know it's miserable. Jim has it too. He finally went to the urgent care walk-in on sunday. I used to think I was immune to it..ha. My mother once got really sick from burning it.
Are you doing anything for it?

Back
Top Bottom