I now officially feel sorry for everyone where it freezes regularly!!

We moved from where I was born and raised, southern California, about a year and a half ago. Last winter it was normal, but right now we're in the middle of that cold snap...it's all of 13 degrees and the sleet has turned to slick ice here in N. Tennessee.
I actually love it here, and the only thing about S. Ca. I miss is the sun. Weeks of grey skies make for depressing weather.
My chickens are staying in their coop, as it's windy and the fine snowy billows throughout the run and I guess they don't like that so much. I'm gonna put some scratch down inside the coop to give them something to do, plus a plate of soaked warm oatmeal and greens. No heat in the coop, but the deep litter hemp on the floor probably keeps them a tad warmer.

Haha! No need to feel pity, I can't get enough of the beautiful scenery and silence that accompanies snow. I moved from the south to the north 12 years ago partially for the natural connectedness that I find with 4 distinct seasons and I will never go back.

All that being said, I also have a 100ft buried electric cord enabling me to have heated waterers in my coop and heated bowls in my bunny hutches. Winter is not more difficult than summer. In fact, for the bunnies, summer is more dangerous.

That's what I do. I usually have on 3 layers of progressively larger shirts and don't typically wear a heavy jacket or coat. I also try to put some sort of head covering on...usually a toboggan of some sort. Keeps me mostly toasty!!
big_smile.png
You... wear...a ....tttt toboggan....
Funny ..... here we ride a toboggan, these sell like hotcakes!

Attachments

• Sledding.jpg
    Sledding.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1
We moved from where I was born and raised, southern California, about a year and a half ago.
I actually love it here, and the only thing about S. Ca. I miss is the sun. Weeks of grey skies make for depressing weather.
Wait, you miss the "June Gloom" and "Santana Winds" of SoCal? I'll bet you miss parking on the 405 every morning and afternoon just to get to work also. I imagine your just having withdrawals from the lack of police helicopters overhead every night to lull you to sleep. I do miss hanging out in Seal Beach but for me the rest of SoCal is no longer worth my time.

It is a pain to change out the chickens water a couple of times a day and they make a complete mess of the hen house but as long as we feed them well they are happy. On the other hand the birds flying around outside are still health also so I guess it's just a bird thing.

My big concern is in the late spring when the young foxes start running around and doing stupid things like try to chew through my fencing.

Back
Top Bottom