I now officially feel sorry for everyone where it freezes regularly!!

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
While I've always felt bad for all you in the frozen north, I now understand on a small scale what you have to deal with everyday! Yesterday the waterers were all frozen solid...as well as the outside faucets, even though they were insulated and left slightly running all night. The temp was around 19 on Sunday night and didn't reach much above 35 yesterday.

Last night it was 16 degrees here in sunny north central Florida and of course, they are frozen solid again!! AAAGGGHHHH!!!

I guess the biggest issue is that we don't have all the available items, like heated dog bowls, etc that are available in colder climates.

Oh well...only 2 more nights in the 20's and it will be warming up again.
big_smile.png
The chickens don't seem to mind the cold at all. We did hang a 250 watt red heat bulb in each pen and the silkies make piles underneath it.

Thanks for your thoughts. But, gosh, it sooo beautiful here in the north. And playing in the snow is loads of fun. I've attached a few photos that show just how pretty it gets. And the forecast for later this week is 30 degrees - a heat wave!

22071_december_032.jpg

22071_december_038.jpg

Last edited:
The other thing is that many folks here don't even OWN a decent jacket. They just throw on a sweater and make a dash from the car to the building in which they work. By the time they get off work, it's warm again.

I have a fair amount of warm gear because I am outdoors as much as I can be. I don't have any warm shoes though.
sad.png
I wear Crocs all the time...even dress Crocs to work. So I just put on a pair of socks with them and hope my feet don't freeze.
big_smile.png

Steph your correct it's pretty but one day of it and I'm done!!!!!

lovemychix, I have a few with frostbite as well, first time in at least 7 or 8 years. Especially one rooster, the other no sign of frostbite, go figure.

Quote:
Well I'm no eskimo, but I've been making the 15 minute walk to the gym in 20 degree weather in a shirt + a sweater + a sweatshirt. Toss a windbreaker on over that and you're more than covered. You don't need a proper coat if you layer.

Of course, I'd die in Florida in the summer time even if I was allowed to run around naked, so who am I to talk.

Quote:
Well I'm no eskimo, but I've been making the 15 minute walk to the gym in 20 degree weather in a shirt + a sweater + a sweatshirt. Toss a windbreaker on over that and you're more than covered. You don't need a proper coat if you layer.

Of course, I'd die in Florida in the summer time even if I was allowed to run around naked, so who am I to talk.

That's what I do. I usually have on 3 layers of progressively larger shirts and don't typically wear a heavy jacket or coat. I also try to put some sort of head covering on...usually a toboggan of some sort. Keeps me mostly toasty!!
big_smile.png

IT has been awefullllll here. Had under 10 deg. for more than a week straight. But this week its supposed to be almost 50deg. everyday!! WWWOOOOOHOOO!!! My birdies are happy as can be for it too. You should have seen me when it was way down....shirt...sweatshirt....flannel shirt..down jacket...2 pairs of gloves...earcover and fluffy hat!! Crazy
barnie.gif

We hit +20 here today. That's 53 degrees warmer than it was when I woke up 3 mornings ago. Yes, it was actually -33 degrees F. Our windchills last week reached nearly -50. Believe me, spring will be welcomed here. And---whatever happened to "global warming". I want it back---now!

Back
Top Bottom