My Thoughts on Coop Insulation (during this stupid cold Winter!)

They obviously wont die, but will it help egg production and overall general health to keep them a few degrees warmer? ! :oops:

Not scientific just general observation. I do find that my egg production will fall on the VERY cold days particularly if there had been warm days leading up to the drop in temperature. It is usually a one maybe two day event.

However, I let my ladies go with nature; I do not add light preferring to let their bodies dictate when I get an egg. I am also reverting to heritage breeds that suit my winter climate (Chanteclers at the moment possibly Hungarian Yellows come Spring) which lay every two days or so. I started with ISAs, loved the egg production but not their aggression and now 18 months later they are worn out and lay next to nothing. I expect to get 4-5 years of steady production year round with the Chanteclers.

FWIW

Last edited:
-35 F right now. Just checked on mine. They are doing well, and even had two eggs waiting for me. Egg production is certainly down, but it will pick up once this crap is gone. Here's my problem. Check out the forecast for Friday night. I will have to add a light and hope to get the coop up around -20.

Screenshot_20210211-054923_AccuWeather.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-043819_AccuWeather.jpg

I am trying to figure out how the universe works.

That is a noble endeavor. But you just have to figure out how CHICKENS IN COOPS work!

insulating a well ventilated coop

But the OP does not have a well ventilated coop. AND it's over populated. ALL coops need to be properly designed for the climate and the number of birds it will contain. Exceeding the number of birds will affect the performance of the coop. The moist air MUST have a path to escape and fresh dry air MUST have a way in. Fresh dry air is the single most important thing for a bird. Keep drafts from blowing open the feathers is a very close second.

They obviously wont die, but will it help egg production and overall general health to keep them a few degrees warmer?
I've not noticed this. I collected 11 eggs (20 active layers) on a day when the temp stayed below 20F.

You guys are making me feel like a whiny wimp when I'm agonizing over temperatures falling into the single digits and teens at night for a few days.

You are allowed to be a whiny wimp, you puny hairless human, you!
The chickens are designed quite a bit different than mammals.

Chickens poop. A lot. Would you like to be locked in a small, warm room with no fresh air and only a bucket for a toilet after you pigged out at Taco Bell and ate a pint of ice cream for dessert or ate a couple egg salad, bacon, radish sprout sandwiches? Or would you rather be a little chilly but have some fresh air?
OH MY GOD!!!!! That is hilarious! I may have experienced this exact thing in college. :sick:sick

The concern of wanting your littles to be warm is real. There are great resources weighing in here so best of luck learning about what it best for your flock. Most breeds are pretty cold hardy. I recently built my coop and live in Western MI. They are doing really well in the chilly temps we have been having. There is a ton of ventilation for them in their coop and no drafts. Many of the folks responding also gave me some great info. Trust them...you won’t be led astray.

Chickens huddle together to keep themselves warm. We've been in single digits with minus single digit wind chill for the past few days. Going to last well over a week. Chickens are huddled together at night on their roost. In the morning, they are outside by choice. Putting them In a sealed environment is detrimental to their health. They need ventilation. Birds' feathers are designed to trap insulating still air under their feathers. Let nature take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom