I pledge allegiance....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said the pledge every day in school till the 6th grade. I was suspended when I made a fuss why we weren't saying it anymore. At the time I didn't understand Atheism but even as an reformed cathlic/ neo pagan I do understand our nation was founded on Christian principals. I laugh at the folks who want the 10 commandments banned from being displayed. It isn't only scripture... it's common sense and a model of decency in a decadent society.

Hate to be cliche`d but to quote Boondock saints...

Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal, these are principles which every man of every faith can embrace.
These are not polite suggestions. These are codes of behavior and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.
There are varying degrees of evil, we urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption, into our domain.
But if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three and on that day you will reap it.
And we will send you to which ever god you wish.

AMEN

I think every person has a right to pledge allegiance or not, no matter what their reasons are. That said, being a jerk about it, like the kid in the comic, is not very considerate or respectful. I think there are polite ways to opt out of things that make one uncomfortable.

I will confess, as an agnostic/atheist who has issues with organized religion, I do generally omit or be silent during the "under God" part when I say it. But I believe that is my choice. This is a free country. I do not believe it makes me any less American than anyone else.
smile.png

Quote:
That is something I have no problem with as well! But to sit out the pledge itself..... For 2 words......

Quote:
That is something I have no problem with as well! But to sit out the pledge itself..... For 2 words......

I do not sit it out for those two words. Its because if I say it, I am pledging myself to something other then what God.

Quote:

I do not sit it out for those two words. Its because if I say it, I am pledging myself to something other then what God.

Or my own definition of God, or goddess
smile.png

Its about our country.. not god...
god is just a word... you dont have to believe in it to believe in the pledge.

Dont think there is any point in arguing about how someone should see the pledge in reference to there religion. Weather its one word or the whole concept of pledging ones self to something. Religion is very personal an handled by everyone different. Just like I can go to a public official an tell him to go jump in a lake. That is my right an by doing it it could be seen as being patriotic or unpatriotic. Also not saying the pledge can also be seen as both patriotic or unpatriotic. Its all in your prespectave. Everyone here has the right to do or not for there own reasons. Telling someone that they should or shouldn't do " Insert random thing " because of " insert random reason ", although your right to, defeats the whole concept. By being bothered by someone not saying the pledge are you not actually breaking the pledge your self.

Quote:
Service is still service! My dad is technically a 'Nam era vet, but he spent his time stationed in Germany.

Also, thank you for that link. It was a really interesting read...I might start using the intended original.

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with equality, liberty and justice for all."

Sorry folks, these types of posts never seem to go well. After numerous reports, the discussion is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom