I ran from my rooster

If you have kid's and you are afraid of the rooster, then I would either send him to freezer camp or if you do re-home him, make sure that you let the person who will be taking him know how he is. There are good rooster's out there that aren't human aggressive. I have had good one's, so I know. Good luck in whatever you decide to do with him.

You didn't ruin your relationship, he did!
While running away might not have been the best thing, and loosing all those eggs is pretty sad, you weren't injured, the best outcome this time.
No amount of 'retraining' will make him safe with small children!!!
I vote for freezer camp, either for your family or another family. Carry a weapon out there, or don't enter the coop at all, and move him on ASAP.
Our first rooster was a total jerk, and we put up with him way too long. Not any more!
Human aggression is genetic usually, and not worth dealing with, and definitely not worth breeding on.
Nice roosters are wonderful to have!!!
Mary

Ok, I’m a chicken. I’ll admit it.
It started inside the coop where he blocked me from walking out of the coop. So I went all the way around the pin to attempt to walk around him, but he moved towards me and got closer. I didn’t see much of a threat because he was pecking at the ground ( later learning they do this to pretend they aren’t watching you)
So I walked past him and he got mad! He charged after me. I wasn’t expecting it and instantly got scared. I tried to stand my ground and face him, but he charged me again. I was walking backwards, tripped a Little and spilled two cartoons of eggs. Some landed on him and that really made him mad and he charged me again. I regret this next part completely but did it totally in fear. I was in our field d and had nothing to defend myself with so I threw eggs at him. Yikes. !! That made it even worse. I ended up running away

I was so scared. But then I thought what did I just do to our relationship. ?!! I didn’t wanna be attacked and i am clearly a chicken to not stand my ground. I fear I’ve ruined the relationship. And honestly I’m scared of him now.
thoughts or tips? I feel it’s almost best to rehome him. I have littles to. So I def. don’t want them attacked

I would have suggested carrying a stick and teaching the rooster who is boss, but if you are that afraid of a rooster I would suggest just getting rid of the rooster.

You can find all kinds of really good advice on here for taming aggressive roosters.... but if you're scared of him, I would recommend re-homing him. :hmm
If you have your heart set on having a rooster, wait until your current flock are more mature, and you have a little more experience with chickens under your belt. Having a good rooster is awesome, but they can be a real challenge, especially during their hormonal teenage stage :barnie

Mine kept attacking and eventually drew blood. He should be swimming with the Dumplings, but I chickened out and set him up a bachelor pad. He can say hi to the ladies through the separating fence and can try to peck at me but he can't get out to attack me or my family. Food and water goes into and out of his run only when he is locked inside his coop.

I don't turn my back on roosters. I don't trust the suckers. I have had nice ones and I've had mean ones. The pigs get the mean ones if I don't feel like processing them for the freezer. I've tried wacking sense into them and it has never worked. They'll avoid me while I'm looking at them but as soon as my back is turned, game over. Too many roosters around for that mess.

Here is what I would do:

1) Camp deep freeze, then invite him for dinner one night.
2) Re-home, but only if you are very clear as to his aggressive behavior. I would feel terrible if my re-homed rooster harmed a child.
3) (Re)Train the rooster if you have the time and/or energy, with the expectation that you might be back to 1) or 2) in the end anyway.

One thing I did to make my life easier with my chickens is that I can lock my chickens up in their coop when I need to do maintenance in the chicken run. Nobody sneaking up behind me or trying to escape that way. Similarly, I can lock the chickens out of the coop when they are in the chicken run, and do whatever chores I need to do in the coop, knowing that no chickens will be looking for the door and freedom. Finally, I have an outside access door to gather eggs which is basically safe from both the coop and the run. I know lots of people have that kind of setup, but I think it's worth repeating because it makes life with chickens so much easier.

Because of predator concerns, I do not let my chickens free range. The advantage to me is that I always have control over where the chickens are. Although not funny, I was laughing to read that you ended up throwing eggs at your rooster. I would suggest that you find a way to collect your eggs without having to worry about this rooster, or any future rooster, sneaking up behind you.

I'll be reading this thread to see how things turn out for you. Good luck.

Sounds like you were nervous about the rooster before this whole egg chucking fiasco.
Unless you find just a true jem of a guy then this scenario will repeat even if you change birds.
Your fear is taken as an danger signal, a reason to him to get you away from his area because you're up to something or you aren't right.
Not the answer you want to hear im sure, but consistent calm is your only hope.:)

Back
Top Bottom