I remember what I was doing 7 years ago today...

My cousins husband who had been in the reserves in his early 20's, signed up for the National Guard after 9-11 and is currently on his 2nd tour. First time around they were mp's and were the ones guarding Sadam after his capture. This time they are infantry and in Afghanistan. I know many people went back in after this happened to fight for our country.

I was working in the high school kitchen as a supervisor and was trying to keep two employees from fighting. Heard the news and watched it on tv. Cried and told the two people to stop what they were doing that people were hurt and dying and their fighting was not important at this moment. My prayers are still with faimly and friends who lost loved ones that day. Knowing what they went through makes what these people were scrabbling about seem so trival.

It's with such a heavy heart that I read all your stories of what you were all doing. Seems like it was yesterday....I was sitting at my desk at work when the word came....we all went up to another floor with a TV, and watched...eyes wide and unbelieving. Everyone was crying and it just seemed light an awful nightmare, or a cruel joke someone was playing.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY.

I was in the Arbutus Lake watershed doing research and didn't have contact with anyone else. The next day I went into the office and read the headlines in the morning paper.

One of my bosses wives called to tell our office the news. We listened on the radio for a few minutes while the first tower fell, then my boss turned it off and told us to get back to work. What a guy.

I was at work when my boss came in and turned the radio on for us and told us what was happening. We took turns going to her office to watch. I just wanted to go get my kids from school and go home. I remember crying for months when it was mentioned and especially when I heard songs like Toby Keiths and others.

The only thing that came close to this tragedy, but wasn't nearly as big, was the Oklahoma bombing. I just remember seeing all those babies and children that were in the daycare there.

On a personal note, I was terrified that we would not be allowed to adopt our youngest son after our country was under attack! We were waiting on the call, expected it any day and we were terrified that Korea would not allow him to come home or that no one would be allowed to fly. It did delay him by a month, but finally on October 8, my little man was placed in my arms!

I was driving home from taking my ds to school, had my 2 month old baby girl with me, and heard the first report on the radio. I thought, "how did someone hit that?" thinking it was a small plane pilot error. Got home, turned on the tv and stayed glued to it all day. It seemed unreal.

I ran a medical research facility in Pittsburgh and I was trying to make provisions to get everyone home as quickly as possible since most of the staff and participants were too distraught to continue and the Flight 93 plane was still in the sky and unaccounted for. One of my nurses was hysterical and was convinced that terrorists were going to bomb our clinic and for some reason felt the need to alarm anybody else that would listen to her until I corralled her. Let's just say that I spent the day putting out "fires" and getting everyone home safe while having the clinic prepared to open the next day.

All the while worrying about my family, all of which live in New York City, several members of which are policemen, including my baby sister. No calls were going through and I wasn't able to get any information until the next day.

I lost a few schoolmates that day. And, a very close teenage friend, who's firefighter unit was one of the first on the scene. From what I understand, he died in the WTC stairwell trying to bring people out while the towers were burning. He left behind a wife and two kids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/19/n...tml?ex=1221278400&en=6423af55f3ea3451&ei=5070

My immediate family was safe, thank god, but we all pretty much lost someone we knew.

I am still just as angry today as I was that day...and I am eternally grateful for all those who serve in the armed services that continue to fight the terrorists in their own backyards, and not in ours...

Last edited:
It was a memorable day, many lives changed. Everyone in the US was 1-2 people away from casualty or someone directly injured by the event. I remember talking to my cousin at grandma's thanksgiving discussing how in 2 months we already rolled through Afghanistan and were looking at Iran. My cousin soon after joined the National Guard, served in Iraq for two tours, earned his degree from WSU and chose to be an officer in the U.S. Army. We spoke this past weekend and he told me that he was soon going to Ranger school. I am so proud of him. We need great men and women just like him to stand the line and to serve violence to our enemies, to answer the call and to keep the fight at their doorstep not our streets.

The best part of 9/11 for me was sitting down to dinner at the picnic table that evening, as my kids and I were discussing the events of the day and trying to have a media blackout for a couple of minutes of family time we looked up and saw 4 fighter planes along with one large airliner in the center of the loose formation. My oldest son mentioned that all other planes were grounded and that one must be Air Force 1. We found out later that indeed it was the president on his way from Colorado to D.C.

One of my friends hardest hit during 9/11 worked at Andrews Air Force base, he was then a Captain in the Air Force now a Lt. Colonel working at the Pentagon. He was involved with removing the prominent political figures out of Washington. 4 days after 9/11 he finally made it back home and returned my call. Through our discussion Eric mentioned his neighbors in Alexandria, 2 of them died in the Pentagon and 2 of the guys he grew up with that were in his wedding with my wife and I were firefighters from his home town, New York. They still had no confirmation but found out later both rushed to the World Trade Center to battle the blaze and were killed at the foot of the towers.

Memories of that day are still clear and painful, it amazes me that no other major attacks occurred to the U.S. since 9/11. Thanks to all who have answered the call, who joined the Military and have served in the most troubling of times.
Peace,
Dave

I was at work , under a sink fixing a drain when one of my co workers told me what was happening. I went to a TV just a second before the second plain hit the Trade center. I was shocked . I thought it was a film of the first one but as time rolled on and reports of the pentigon and Pencilvania. myself and others around the Tv were in shock I think . I called home to talk to my wife who was hysterical. I think, no I know, since that moment i have lived as this was my last day. GOd Bless America and all those who protect our freedoms.

Back
Top Bottom