I Remember When...

Very sad ! I think society has come to this. Hard to find someone who cares for their fellow man let alone a special needs person. Its all about the "mighty dollar".

I have also found this to be true with older or elderly people. They are treated as if they are in the way and no longer have the brain capacity of the younger people. My best friends througout life have always been twice my age and the lessons I've learned from them are invaluable. I wish I could just transfer what's in their brain to mine :)

I'm assuming that Robert Saylor was probably fairly heavy. We had an incident locally where an obese man was left cuffed on the floor of a jail cell and asphyxiated. With your hands held behind your back, it's hard enough for a slender person to breathe when lying on his face, but for a heavy person, it's much worse. Add the fact that this young man had Down's Syndrome (something that should have been obvious to everyone involved), and yes, I can see how this could occur.

There are so many ways that situation could have been handled better. Where was the young man's companion, and why didn't anybody listen to them? Where is the compassion for someone who was obviously of less-than-perfect comprehension?

Outrageous.

I'm assuming that Robert Saylor was probably fairly heavy. We had an incident locally where an obese man was left cuffed on the floor of a jail cell and asphyxiated. With your hands held behind your back, it's hard enough for a slender person to breathe when lying on his face, but for a heavy person, it's much worse. Add the fact that this young man had Down's Syndrome (something that should have been obvious to everyone involved), and yes, I can see how this could occur.

There are so many ways that situation could have been handled better. Where was the young man's companion, and why didn't anybody listen to them? Where is the compassion for someone who was obviously of less-than-perfect comprehension?

Outrageous.
THere has to be more to the story. They said he had no pre existing conditions. The care taker had left to get the car. Why did she do that? They could have watched the end and then walk to the car. If he had issues walking or a heart issues (like quite a few Down syndrome patients) wouldnt that be pre existing? If she knew that he was prone to outbursts why leave him alone. I just dont understand why helper and him could not walk together.

The coroner ruled it "homicide". Why were the police not charged? oh...because they're police...We all know THEY don't do anything wrong...
wink.png

Why didn't this make the national news? I never saw or heard of it until now. What was the problem in letting him see the movie again?

The wide release of Zero Dark Thirty was only three days prior to this incident. I'd imagine theater staff were pressured by an oncoming slate of sold out screenings to clear the theater for cleaning. This may have lead to the escalation. What an unfortunate accident.

homicide
Definition
hom·i·cide​

hom·i·cides Plural

NOUN
1.​
killing of somebody: the act or an instance of unlawfully killing another human being
2.​
somebody who has committed homicide: somebody who kills another human being unlawfully

The coroner ruled it "homicide". The only other people around him at the time, according to the article, were the police officers...Course, as I said, we all know cops don't do ANYTHING wrong..Not saying they did this time. BUT a different agency needs to step in and investigate the death and then, either clear or charge the officers. I don't know if your statement was directed at what I posted or not. If it was, I do not think the cops should be charged simply because they are cops. I know a lot of cops and some are decent people and others are scum of the earth that are on a power trip. As I said, a different agency needs to investigate and go from there.

homicide
Definition
hom·i·cide​

hom·i·cides Plural
NOUN
1.​
killing of somebody: the act or an instance of unlawfully killing another human being
2.​
somebody who has committed homicide: somebody who kills another human being unlawfully

The coroner ruled it "homicide". The only other people around him at the time, according to the article, were the police officers...Course, as I said, we all know cops don't do ANYTHING wrong..Not saying they did this time. BUT a different agency needs to step in and investigate the death and then, either clear or charge the officers. I don't know if your statement was directed at what I posted or not. If it was, I do not think the cops should be charged simply because they are cops. I know a lot of cops and some are decent people and others are scum of the earth that are on a power trip. As I said, a different agency needs to investigate and go from there.

You kind of went with the shortest definition. You should have scrolled down a little more.

Medical Definition of HOMICIDE

: a person who kills another
: a killing of one human being by another—compare genocide
homicide

noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
Killing of one human being by another. Homicide is a general term; it includes murder, manslaughter, and other criminal homicides as well as noncriminal killings. Murder is the crime of intentionally and unjustifiably killing another. In the U.S., first-degree murder is a homicide committed with premeditation or in the course of a serious felony (e.g., kidnapping). Second- and third-degree murder involve lesser degrees of intent. Manslaughter is commonly divided into voluntary (or first-degree) and involuntary (or second- and third-degree) manslaughter. The first type encompasses any homicide resulting from an intentional act done without malice or premeditation and while in the heat of passion or on sudden provocation; the second type is variously defined in different jurisdictions but often includes an element of unlawful recklessness or negligence. Noncriminal homicides include killings committed in defense of oneself or another and deaths resulting from accidents caused by persons engaged in lawful acts. See also felony and misdemeanour;

You kind of went with the shortest definition. You should have scrolled down a little more.

Medical Definition of HOMICIDE

: a person who kills another
: a killing of one human being by another—compare genocide
homicide

noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
Killing of one human being by another. Homicide is a general term; it includes murder, manslaughter, and other criminal homicides as well as noncriminal killings. Murder is the crime of intentionally and unjustifiably killing another. In the U.S., first-degree murder is a homicide committed with premeditation or in the course of a serious felony (e.g., kidnapping). Second- and third-degree murder involve lesser degrees of intent. Manslaughter is commonly divided into voluntary (or first-degree) and involuntary (or second- and third-degree) manslaughter. The first type encompasses any homicide resulting from an intentional act done without malice or premeditation and while in the heat of passion or on sudden provocation; the second type is variously defined in different jurisdictions but often includes an element of unlawful recklessness or negligence. Noncriminal homicides include killings committed in defense of oneself or another and deaths resulting from accidents caused by persons engaged in lawful acts. See also felony and misdemeanour;
You explained this much better than I could, but bottom line is: not all homicides are criminal and charges are not pressed in non-criminal homicides.

Back
Top Bottom