I rescued 2 roosters and a hen about a month ago....

poor baby : ( Looks like a hen to me, but you never know, looks alot like my golden comets(red sex links)..I would keep it clean and watch for infection

I had to carry the poor thing out and put her up on a perch tonight. She was going to try to sleep on the floor of the playhouse! I had visions of the raccoons finding her there! I will build her a hutch this week.

Hard to tell, but it may be a hen. And on the beak, i'm not seeing where the break or tear is. But you said it was on the other side. i guess for now just keep her eating and drinking.

You do want to make sure your coops are secure, though. You said something about raccoons finding her on the floor of the coop. If you need some advice on securing your coop, post a pic and we can help with suggestions. Very nice of you to build an additional coop for her. She probably needs some peace and quiet to heal. Keep us posted.
smile.png

Could that be Canker on her beak? I'm not personally experienced with it, but it sure looks like the pictures of Canker that I've seen on here.

It may be a good thing that you had to put it in a seperate pen. When introducing new birds to the flock its best to have an isolation period of 30 days to avoid spreading of disease. If you can put it in a pen where the other birds can see the new bird and get used to its presence that can help. Also, introduing birds to the coop at night or gradually during free ranging can make things work better.

It is not an easy task to get a good beak picture. Just saying.

I had her overnight in the garage because of the severe weather. I am such a sucker.

001-1.jpg

At first, I didn't want to go near her because of her face. But she is so friendly she is irresistible!

Last edited:
Keep feeding her the wet mash, wipe it off after she eats to keep the area somewhat clean and I bet the beak will heal back on there. This happened to one of my roos after fighting thru a chain link fence with another rooster his top beak had cracked all the way across right where the beak begins and the comb ends. AFter about 1 week of feeding wet mash and keeping his beak area clean his healed back on. You can get terrimycin eye ointment for her bad eye, looks like a pecking injury or something there. Vitamins and electrolytes in her water will also aid in getting her healthy aagin. Bless your heart for rescuing them! I would have done the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom