i rescued a chicken....

Im glad everything has worked out & she has a new home. You are a great person for rescuing her. Although chicks might be cheap and disposable to some people - they still deserve to be treated with kindness. One of my chickens is a rescue - found at the local high school in a plastic container in the parking lot in the rain.. She survived & turned out to be a beautiful hen :)
24 hrs after rescue

& as an adult :)

you have a gorgeous bird brendaj!

and she was such a cutie as chick...

anyway, i just got back home. im only visiting for valentines day weekend, and then im back off on business again...

so, my rescue bird has now laid five eggs. seems to be one every other day. and all of the feathers on her back have grown back.
im quite tempted to just get some more birds and start a flock... it would be easy to keep them fed and watered and safe. but, if something went wrong, i wouldnt be there to fix it.

its not the time for it... not yet. i wouldnt be able to devote the time to them that they deserve. just five more years... then i am definitely getting more buff orpingtons. sweet little birds.

my bird goes to her new home this sunday.

Auban, I commend you on your decision. Shows you do care for her if you'd rather have her go to a good home than to try to take care of her when you won't be there very much.
You will get your flock one day and they will be some of the luckiest birds to have someone who puts their needs before your own wants.
:)

i cant help but show her off... its hard to believe that this is the same chicken that i considered killing because of its suffering...

i have always believed that i would be willing to kill an animal to end its suffering. but, in practice, i have never been able to do it. i would rather see what the animal is made of.... as in, how strong is their will to survive? i was taught that sometimes its best to kill a critter because they are just going to die anyway.

well, forget that nonsense. if the critter wants to live, it will live.

right now, i just want to brag about my chicken. she is such a doll...

she has regrown her feathers:

and she is a friendly little girl to boot!

i just ate wholly organic eggs for the first time... holy crap...

yeah, im getting chickens when im done with the army....

i cant help but show her off... its hard to believe that this is the same chicken that i considered killing because of its suffering...

i have always believed that i would be willing to kill an animal to end its suffering. but, in practice, i have never been able to do it. i would rather see what the animal is made of.... as in, how strong is their will to survive? i was taught that sometimes its best to kill a critter because they are just going to die anyway.

well, forget that nonsense. if the critter wants to live, it will live.

right now, i just want to brag about my chicken. she is such a doll...

she has regrown her feathers:

and she is a friendly little girl to boot!

I just read your whole thread...she has recovered wonderfully!

Thank you so much for your service for our country as well!

I cannot even eat store-bought eggs anymore without making a face. The eggs from our chickens are much better...almost a buttery flavor to them. You will enjoy having your own flock so much one day. But yes they do need inspection and care daily.

She obviously loves you very much, one can tell from the photo!

you have a gorgeous bird brendaj!

and she was such a cutie as chick...

anyway, i just got back home. im only visiting for valentines day weekend, and then im back off on business again...

so, my rescue bird has now laid five eggs. seems to be one every other day. and all of the feathers on her back have grown back.
im quite tempted to just get some more birds and start a flock... it would be easy to keep them fed and watered and safe. but, if something went wrong, i wouldnt be there to fix it.

its not the time for it... not yet. i wouldnt be able to devote the time to them that they deserve. just five more years... then i am definitely getting more buff orpingtons. sweet little birds.

my bird goes to her new home this sunday.
Thank you , Enjoy your weekend. Best of luck on your future flock :)

Back
Top Bottom