I saved nine ducklings from getting crushed in the street.

kryhsv

Hatching
Jul 19, 2016
They're in my tub now with towels and hot water bottles. I don't want to invest in brooding supplies but I need to figure out how to get them to eat. It's been about twelve hours and they're not interested in water or food. I'm worried they're going to dehydrate or starve before the wildlife rescue can come get them!
1f623.png
Help?

Just leave a little bowl of water where they can see it. You can take their bills and dip them in the water so they know what it is. Leave a bread plate with some duck crumbles on it if you bought that. Or float tiny pices of lettuce in the water.
I'm sure others have better ideas.

Last edited:
They're in my tub now with towels and hot water bottles. I don't want to invest in brooding supplies but I need to figure out how to get them to eat. It's been about twelve hours and they're not interested in water or food. I'm worried they're going to dehydrate or starve before the wildlife rescue can come get them!
1f623.png
Help?
Bless your heart for saving them. Wonder what happened to mama? are they wood ducks? and when is wild life rescue going to pick them up, I understand it's pretty hard to get wood ducks to eat. Go to ornamental thread and ask how to get them to eat. It's down past duck thread.

UPDATE: wildlife rescue called back finally and ID'd them as black-bellied whistling ducks and said they get stressed in captivity so they might not eat. I read @Cherib603's comment and decided to fill the tub up about an inch or so so they could preen and drink and then took a gamble and submerged a jar lid with mashed bananas in it and they ate some! Thank you guys for your help! We're on our way to the wildlife drop off right now and tonight they're going to a 200 acre wildlife rescue with other whistling ducklings that get picked up.

UPDATE: wildlife rescue called back finally and ID'd them as black-bellied whistling ducks and said they get stressed in captivity so they might not eat. I read @Cherib603 's comment and decided to fill the tub up about an inch or so so they could preen and drink and then took a gamble and submerged a jar lid with mashed bananas in it and they ate some! Thank you guys for your help! We're on our way to the wildlife drop off right now and tonight they're going to a 200 acre wildlife rescue with other whistling ducklings that get picked up.
Awesome news.. I know you'll be relieved they are finally going to be in a natural habitat. Great job!!

Thanks for your help guys! I just started this account to help them and now they're safe. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom