1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I saved nine ducklings from getting crushed in the street.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kryhsv, Jul 19, 2016.

1. kryhsv

kryhsv New Egg

Jul 19, 2016
    They're in my tub now with towels and hot water bottles. I don't want to invest in brooding supplies but I need to figure out how to get them to eat. It's been about twelve hours and they're not interested in water or food. I'm worried they're going to dehydrate or starve before the wildlife rescue can come get them! [​IMG] Help? [​IMG]

2. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Just leave a little bowl of water where they can see it. You can take their bills and dip them in the water so they know what it is. Leave a bread plate with some duck crumbles on it if you bought that. Or float tiny pices of lettuce in the water.
    I'm sure others have better ideas.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bless your heart for saving them. Wonder what happened to mama? are they wood ducks? and when is wild life rescue going to pick them up, I understand it's pretty hard to get wood ducks to eat. Go to ornamental thread and ask how to get them to eat. It's down past duck thread.

4. kryhsv

kryhsv New Egg

Jul 19, 2016
    UPDATE: wildlife rescue called back finally and ID'd them as black-bellied whistling ducks and said they get stressed in captivity so they might not eat. I read @Cherib603's comment and decided to fill the tub up about an inch or so so they could preen and drink and then took a gamble and submerged a jar lid with mashed bananas in it and they ate some! Thank you guys for your help! We're on our way to the wildlife drop off right now and tonight they're going to a 200 acre wildlife rescue with other whistling ducklings that get picked up.

5. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    2 thumbs up! If I had more, I'd certainly give more!! Great job all the way around!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Awesome news.. I know you'll be relieved they are finally going to be in a natural habitat. Great job!!

7. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Yay! Well done [​IMG]

8. kryhsv

kryhsv New Egg

Jul 19, 2016
    Thanks for your help guys! I just started this account to help them and now they're safe. I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by