I saw a pip happen right in front of my eyes!

holliewould

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Planet Earth
I bought these silkie eggs from here and the first egg to pip in my homemade incubator is a Bobbi Porto white and it is a day early by my records. I set for incubation on the 3rd. I hope it goes well. :) I have to change lenses because I had my 300mm on the body like an idiot! Anyway, looks like it pipped in a good spot on the egg. I am super excited to finally have silkies!

Here is a better pic of the egg. Is it common for eggs to hatch out on day 20? I have only had eggs hatch out late or right on time, not early.

It's okay if it's a day early. Some breeds tend to hatch a little earlier. I don't know much about silkies though. It may even take another 24 hours to hatch completely and perhaps fall on day 21 anyhow? But that's awesome you witnessed it pipping. Of all the years of hatching, I've never witnessed the first pip. Good luck with your hatch! Update with pics
tongue.png

Thank you and I will update. I keep checking and it was only the piece of shell that flew up right in front of me. I was shining a flashlight into the incubator when it happened. I do not see the membrane punctured at all though so would that even be considered a pip? So excited about this but nothing has changed since the original posting.

Last edited:
Yep, that's a pip alright. They can be slow starting out. They're still absorbing the yolk and veins at this stage. You may see another pip or two in this egg in the next several hours. But then it'll start really zipping away at it.

Here is the first one! :) I also got a GREAT video of him hatching out. I cannot post that until it is edited because in my excitement some words were exchanged with myself LOL.

Awwww
smile.png
Congrats! It's a good feeling to successfully incubate and hatch, and especially from your own homemade incubator. You did great!! Enjoy those peeps! Take more pics when they fluff up
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom