I sent my first hatching eggs out today!! (Updated)

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I sent my first set of tester eggs out today. First time I have ever sent any eggs from my young girls. I am excited to see how they arrive if I packed them good so from now on I know how to pack them. How many hatch and so on...I am really excited!

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! I hope to be sharing some of our fertile eggs before long too! Spreading the addiction is going to be fun!

I read that most of the european gangs ship their eggs in cartons with some extra padding... I am going to try this as I find the process of unwrapping eggs, well nerve-wracking and I like the idea that they would stay upright for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'v never heard of that way of shipping...Is there a link?

I wrapped each of mine alone with bubble wrap once each was wrapped in bubble wrap I wrapped all of them together in another layer of bubble wrap. I placed crumbled up news papers on the bottom of the box and layed the eggs on top I put more crumbled paper on the sides and tops and corners. So I am hoping I packed them well enough that all eggs stay in good shape and none get busted. These are tester eggs and I planed to send 4-5 eggs but i decided to send 7 just incase one or two bust or if during incubation one or two does not hatch they will have more chances with these eggs.

I am excited to see!

Woohoo my shipped eggs made it to their shipped place today. I have a DC# so I could keep some kind of track of it. Seems if noone was home to accept the eggs but a Notice had been left and they could be picked up at the P.O. I am so excited to find out if my packing method worked well!!!

It sounds to me like you did a fine job of packing them. I would bet they all made it just great. As long as it was all placed in a sturdy box you should be ok.

I just shipped my first ones and did it almost the same as you. All 18 made it, not 1 crack.
celebrate.gif
I bubble wrapped each one, then wrapped each one in newspaper. I put shred npaper on the bottom of box and placed the eggs in, then added shred np between and on top of the eggs.

I recieved 2 batches of eggs from fellow BYCers, not one single crack! Their trick was to bubble wrap or papertowel wrap each egg, place it in a small box or container with no wiggle room, then there was paper in a larger box with the smaller box on top and more paper around and on top of smaller box. Worked great!

thanks...That sounds neat about packing alittle box into a bigger one packed again. I'm sure nothing could break those eggs.

I just can't wait to hear back from the Fellow BYC'er I sent them to. To see if all 7 made it there in good shape. These eggs are from all my own chickens I have raised so It's very exciting for me to share my own eggs. These are just test eggs now..I can't wait to improve my shipping and how fertile my eggs are. It is indeed very exciting!!

I just got a messege about the eggs I sent out. Out of 7 all made it fine but 1. Ugh I was hoping I packed them so well...I guess next time I will have to pack them even better.

I can't wait to hear of the progress of the eggies!

I got shipped eggs yesterday. One was broken. But in my case it was not the fault of the packer, after all the others weren't broken. I wouldn't fret over one broken egg. It happens now and then. If it was the packing that was no good, you'd have had far more broken. Sometimes the shell itself isn't as strong on one side or another. You did well to only have one broken. Good job.

edited to add, i have never yet had any eggs mailed to me that weren't packed wonderfully. They've all been great.

Last edited:
thansk you all, That makes me feel alot better...I know they get tossed and shoved around in the P.O. I recieved 9 eggs from a BYC memeber and NONE of those were broken. I guess only 1 out of 7 isn't that bad at all. Maybe next time a little more coushion..LOL

Back
Top Bottom