I SHOULD BE ASHAMED, but I ain't.

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
After my rooster's lung infection, as my vet suggested, last Saturday I finished a week of medicating my chickens as a prevention of their possibly getting the same infection. I was also told to toss the eggs for two weeks, but I decided to put them in my two incubators one week at a time.
As luck would have it a hen went broody last week, and I stuck ALL twenty of the eggs in the various nests under her.
Yesterday, I found another hen sitting of six that had accumulated in one nest this week. I went around to the other nests and collect six, six, and four. That made sixteen more to the six under her for a total of 22 eggs.
Of course that was too many for both hens, but there's a temporary fertility problem because of the rooster's having been at the vets for a week and then his having a bumblefoot treatment from a BYC member who was visiting... it was painful for him to mate so...
Whatever, we're having the house painted and some decorating done now, so the excess eggs are the hens problem, not mine. I am NOT going to deal with ANY broody hens or eggs NOW. I'm just going to wait and see how many/if any chicks hatch and give them to a BYC member who wants them if there are any.

Unless it was a particularly teratogenic antibiotic there probably will not be any effect at all on the chicks.

The advice that eggs from antibiotic treated chickens should be thrown is so that the antibiotic does not enter the human food chain. Some of the antibiotics used in animals and birds are not suitable for (may be toxic to) humans or just have never been tested in people.

Hope the hatches go well,

Sandie

I am now picturing Joe putting aside his grumping hat and fussing over all the hens as they prep for impending motherhood, candling eggs obsessively to make sure the hens only sit on occupied eggs....

Are they Banty or full size?!? If Banty, I might just have to take a day trip to come and see you (if you're serious)... I'm just in Illinois... not far at all!
idunno.gif

mmaddie's mom :

Are they Banty or full size?!? If Banty, I might just have to take a day trip to come and see you (if you're serious)... I'm just in Illinois... not far at all!
idunno.gif

They're "full size" bbs Orpingtons. Sorry, I should have said that jeb251 is the member who already said that he wanted them. I'd sent him a PM earlier this week.​

Quote:
They're "full size" bbs Orpingtons. Sorry, I should have said that jeb251 is the member who already said that he wanted them. I'd sent him a PM earlier this week.

No problem... glad they are going to a good home... Hope they ALL hatch!
frow.gif

Quote:
"The devil made me do it."

LOL@ that!! Thats what I will tell dh about the last batch of marans eggs I just sneaked into the bator the other night, once he figures it out, that is
tongue.png

We are all prob ingesting more antibiotics ( and other stuff too) than we think, in our food and the water we drink unless one is completely self sustainable...

Back
Top Bottom