I shouldn't have looked...

If they look really young I would be tempted to try giving a few to one of those broody girls who is taking good care of her chicks. Guaranteed girls and variety in your egg basket...... You can sell some of your Australorps. Sorry, I'm an enabler :D
I agree my hen was sitting on eggs. On day 21 there was a mishap in the nest box (ants) and mama left the nest for an unknown amount of time. I cleaned the coop and brought mama inside hoping the eggs would still hatch. I went to TSC for you know “stuff”and saw the babies. I felt mama deserved babies after sitting 21 days so I bought the minimum 4. When I got home 1 egg had hatched. I slipped the new chicks under her and she readjusted her position. 2 weeks later the TSC chicks are about a week ahead of the egg babies but all is good and I more babies then I planned. Lol

I went into TSC this morning to pick up some horse food. I noticed that TSC went back to the trough brooders so I walked over to peek. I shouldn't have looked! 😂

View attachment 2706491

I would LOVE to buy some of these but I already have too many chickens and 4 broody hens who are sitting. It's killing me!
I am with you, i did secumb, 10 chicks later, 3 Lavendar Orps, 3 BPRocks, 3 Novogens, who can resist sex links, and one lonely Americana. Then my banty went broody for the first time, so I had to test her out, right, so 2 RIR day olds. Now up to 27 chickens, sure glad I added on to the coop last year. Do not go near the baby chicks at Wilco now!!

Well really if you think about it: you should expect to lose like 25% of your eggs before hatching, then 25% of the chicks when they are young, then account for 50% of the chicks hatching to be roosters. So really you are only getting like a couple chicks if you buy 10 of each from TSC.

and thats chicken math for you

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Thats how I've ended up with almost 70 birds🙃

I accounted to lose a ton, and literally every egg has hatched, barely any roosters at all, and I have not lost a single chick. I mean - YAY, but - nay. Too many chickens.
I know, that is why I got 12, so far no deaths, no roosters. would have gotten more lavendar Orps, but 3 was all they had left. Boy, are they beautiful. yes, too many chicks, but good chick TV.

I went into TSC this morning to pick up some horse food. I noticed that TSC went back to the trough brooders so I walked over to peek. I shouldn't have looked! 😂

View attachment 2706491

I would LOVE to buy some of these but I already have too many chickens and 4 broody hens who are sitting. It's killing me!
You need to get 2, then they will be besties!

Back
Top Bottom