I suspect my chick is getting picked on

Chickchick7688

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2023
Hi, I have 13 chicks ages 14 to 16 weeks and I came home from work today and one has a wound on her head. I’m not sure if she’s been getting picked on or if this is an injury that she incurred herself but I suspect it is from another chicken. I have separated her and I put her in a dog cage inside the run, which has made her extremely nervous. Am I over reacting? Should I be separating her? I don’t want them to pick on her even more since I separated her. Not sure what exactly to do. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I’m a new chicken owner and just trying to do the right thing to ensure I have a happy flock.
IMG_9703.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9689.jpeg
    IMG_9689.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9691.jpeg
    IMG_9691.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9694.jpeg
    IMG_9694.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9706.jpeg
    IMG_9706.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 0
Hello!

It was definitely wise of you to separate her. As long as she won’t hurt herself more by trying to get out, keeping her in her own cage is the best thing to do right now, especially if she can see and be near the other chicks without making contact. Chickens are interested in nearly everything, so blood on one of their heads will only draw the others’ attention and cause them to pick at it more.

As for treatment, I don’t really know what to do. I usually just use honey and essential oils or antibacterial ointment/spray and just apply it as seems appropriate. Hopefully someone else can give your more information…

Hello!

It was definitely wise of you to separate her. As long as she won’t hurt herself more by trying to get out, keeping her in her own cage is the best thing to do right now, especially if she can see and be near the other chicks without making contact. Chickens are interested in nearly everything, so blood on one of their heads will only draw the others’ attention and cause them to pick at it more.

As for treatment, I don’t really know what to do. I usually just use honey and essential oils or antibacterial ointment/spray and just apply it as seems appropriate. Hopefully someone else can give your more information…
Thank you so much for your reply and confirming I’m doing the right thing. I have antibiotic cream and I also have honey… can I use any kind of honey or does it have to be raw honey?

Back
Top Bottom