I swore I wasn't going to freak out, but....

So did you get your chicks Kar? How did it go?
fl.gif
They came in late yesterday. They left Iowa at 6p, traveled north to Minnesota, south past Kentucky to Atlanta, and back up to Lexington. The PO guy who called was much nicer than old Earl, but unfortunately they'd been traveling far too long - 4 were DOA, 3 more died within an hour of getting back home. The survivors were the obviously younger ones and are doing great after electrolytes and are quite active, very pretty chicks. The "mystery chick" is a dark brahma, most likely a little roo, and adorable.

I'm glad it's over and definitely learned. I've flown parrots all over the country, transport horses in and out weekly, but I always know I can make a call and know exactly where they are and who is in charge of them every step of the way. I'm not comfortable with throwing it out to chance as to where baby animals are with no way to check on their progress. The USPS route they take from McMurray is too tight and convoluted to allow for any error/delay at all by the PO. I do rehab for Fish and Wildlife, struggle to keep animals alive, and waging bets on the life of any animal - even one baby chick - just isn't something I want to be responsible for when I'm the one who places that "maybe, I hope" order. Counting on a hatchery to only ship when it's in the best interest of the chick (weather, distance, best shipping times) isn't going to happen because after all, they're a business.

So I'm going to enjoy the ones I have, and do some research to find local breeders for any others I add later.

So I'm going to enjoy the ones I have, and do some research to find local breeders for any others I add later.
I think you will find that you are happier with your birds this way. AND you get to meet all sorts of crazy chicken contacts.

Oh I'm sorry
sad.png
Glad the others are ok though.

I'm sure you'll be able to find some great local breeders for next time- BYC is certainly the place to look.

Oh I'm sorry
sad.png
Glad the others are ok though.

I'm sure you'll be able to find some great local breeders for next time- BYC is certainly the place to look.
It was the Australorps that I really wanted and coudn't find locally. All those little girls made it and are extremely healthy and active.

hugs.gif
I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I am double sorry for the little ones that suffered.
I'm sorry for them too, but I'm going to stop kicking myself and consider it a lesson learned. The chicks that made it are healthy, active and lots of fun so it wasn't a "bad stock" or "sick" issue, just too long in transit. I suspect the older ones that didn't make it were hatched earlier and just ran out of reserve quicker on a long trip. Death isn't a shocker to me as I deal with it often in rehab, but I'm not happy with knowing it was my action that caused it. Ultimately, when we place that order knowing there's a chance they'll die on the way, it's our responsibility.

OK, now I'm starting to get worried. My chicks shipped yesterday evening from CA, they're due at the local post office here in VT tomorrow morning. The last tracking # update was that they departed the sort facility there. From my experience, USPS is not always great at updating the tracking info... but I guess I'm just worried since I've never ordered chicks from this far away before. Crossing my fingers that they make the long trip OK
fl.gif

They don't update it so there's no telling where the chicks are, but I'd bet they're definitely not still at the sort center. I'm sure they're well on their way by now! I was home with mine for an hour before I got the "delivered" notice.

Please don't let my experience make you nervous. Mine were shipped on a Friday evening so they had a weekend to deal with and yours are coming straight at you. They'll be fine.

Where did you order from? What did you get?

Back
Top Bottom