I think all my hens are actually roosters! :(

NikolasGuy1234

Chirping
Aug 8, 2017
OKAY. so, my flock of what i believed to be hens, may actually mostly be roosters. my black australorp "hens" have the rooster like tail that arcs over, they also are more brightly colored then the little hens i have that i know for a fact are hens. the ones i KNOW are hens, have a stubbyish tail and smaller combs and waddles, while the big ones that i'm concerned about, have large combs and waddles, have there neck feathers more pointed and i think are even getting spurs. the only thing that throws me off is that the black australorps have NEVER crowed or tried to "get with" the little hens. only my rhode island red and white roosters have. i have a video that might help, although its not the best quality and quickly recorded. Please help. i cant have 11 roosters in my flock with only 3 hens!
here is the video:
my dad is very convinced that they are rooster. (none of my chickens lay yet too)

We got them from a good friend
straight run, thought they were all hens in the begining! but they act so much like hens and not roosters, why?!!!

When you say they act like hens, what exactly do you mean? It's probably because there are more male than female. The male have not enough hens to act like roosters over...

I hope this helps you a bit. Sorry if it doesn't. :)

Yup, they are roosters. They are beautiful though, but they are roosters. You can tell by the spurs feathers and combs.
Thank you, ugh, i dont know what to do with them though. i would rather not butcher them, but who would actually take 10 roosters?

Back
Top Bottom