I think he may be slightly confused... *UPDATE* *Pictures Up!*

He looks fine. Let him take a nap. They sometimes take quite a bit of a nap on the way out of the egg. if the membrane starts to dry on him and he looks stuck then maybe assist a teeny bit...

The membrane is getting kind of tough, and he's starting to dry out while still in the shell. I put warm water on the membrane but it didn't do anything

He pipped yesterday at 11:00 am, and has been slowly (but surely) progressing up until now. He still trying to get the membrane off his head with his foot but that isn't doing anything

Quote:
i have no expeirience with chickens at all... but i would think he might need more help... although i'm not sure when to give the help because i've read that its important to let a chick hatch by itself or he wont be strong enough to live very long... i saw another thread telling about a group of chicks, and one needed help so he/se helped the chick, but the next day the chick died.
hmm.png
i'm not sure if only helping a little and helping a lot has different results but that chick looks like he needs help. i agree if he takes too long it should be ok to help.
smile.png

Last edited:
I think after 24 hours of trying you are justified in trying to help a little bit. But if you see ANY blood stop right away. And dont just pop him out, really gently try moving the shell and see if that allows him to push out.

Last spring our broody duck left with her hatchlings while one egg was pipping. When I got home, he had a 1/2 inch hole and was barely alive in the freezing egg. There were already fly eggs all over him. I took him in the house and used tweezers to pick the hole bigger. Lucky I was that there was no blood, and his yolk was absorbed, so once he warmed up we gave him back to momma.

I really want to help him, but because of last time helping a chick and it died, I am a little afraid to do it.... I just don't want to loose ANOTHER chick through all this. So I am debating it.

Back
Top Bottom