I think I’ve lost 2 more chicks

4 week old chicks shouldn't be added to the flock without providing hiding places and supervising them. They won't be fully integrated into the flock until they're laying and earn their spot in the pecking order. (4-6 months old) You also want to separate them from the cockerels to prevent them being abuse. I've raised my chicks with my flock as young as 2 weeks old but I eventually separated them because the hens refused to let them eat.I now have a divided run for my chicks for their own safety.I don't release my cockerels earlier than 3 months to prevent losses.
They have been long fully integrated and the others don’t mind them. They leave them alone. My only issue is predators, not trying to integrate them, so this is irrelevant to my issue.

You can start introducing chicks to your flock at 2 weeks, as long as they have their own area on the coop that has food and water and grit. I use a pet run and some plastic mesh stuff I had laying around. I used cardboard and zip ties to make a door big enough for only them to get through. Then I left them to deside what they wanted to do. Some adult chickens have a harder time adjusting, but my flock has been really good as the only thing they were interested in about the chicks at first was their food.

Last edited:
One of the Roos was out of the yard and they all seem very subdued but it’s not hot. Missing 2 chicks. Lost another last week. Thinking it’s a hawk. Feeling kinda dull because one of the chicks I think was the first to fall asleep in my hand, Einstein. Chicks are a little over a month old, fully feathered. What can I do to make sure this doesn’t happen again? They are fully integrated in the flock but have no mother hen.
I saw I video where a guy was have hawk problems and used spinners, said it throws the hawks vision off. Try to post a link.

Attachments

• spinner.jpg
    spinner.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom