I think I’ve lost 2 more chicks

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
One of the Roos was out of the yard and they all seem very subdued but it’s not hot. Missing 2 chicks. Lost another last week. Thinking it’s a hawk. Feeling kinda dull because one of the chicks I think was the first to fall asleep in my hand, Einstein. Chicks are a little over a month old, fully feathered. What can I do to make sure this doesn’t happen again? They are fully integrated in the flock but have no mother hen.

If you confine them to a covered run, it should protect them from hawks.

If something is taking chicks but not adult chickens, you might only need to keep them confined until they grow enough bigger.

I can't think of anything else that will do much good.
I really don’t want to do that since they are so integrated with the adults. But yeah, I probably will have to.

4 week old chicks shouldn't be added to the flock without providing hiding places and supervising them. They won't be fully integrated into the flock until they're laying and earn their spot in the pecking order. (4-6 months old) You also want to separate them from the cockerels to prevent them being abuse. I've raised my chicks with my flock as young as 2 weeks old but I eventually separated them because the hens refused to let them eat.I now have a divided run for my chicks for their own safety.I don't release my cockerels earlier than 3 months to prevent losses.

Back
Top Bottom