I think I found a miracle cure for feather picking

Yes, the bit is still working! I doubt Flo will be able to re-wire her brain to by-pass the inhibiting effect of the bit because of it's design to keep the beak from closing. She'd have to come up with a way to make one of her claws function as an opposable thumb to be able to get a purchase on a feather to yank it out.

No, these bits are not available in the US. I have no idea why not. I got this one from a BYCer who offered to share an extra one she had. Originally, I bought some bits from E-Bay UK, but the ones I was sent were too long, and protruded beyond Flo's beak and she was unable to get anywhere near food. I'm posting a picture of the old bit and Flo trying to eat with it. If you manage to find some, be sure to specify the short ones like the one Flo is currently wearing.

Today was one of the worst days of my life. I have two more feather pickers who have managed to circumvent the effectiveness of pinless peepers and continue to ravage the feathers of the others. The Bumpa-bit is working extremely well for Flo, but I just have but the one that a very generous BYCer shared out of her own limited supply with me. I had ordered a set of them from e-Bay awhile back, but they are useless because they are too long for hens. That one is all that e-Bay sells, and no one else sells them to people in the US.

So, I decided to clip the upper and lower beaks of these two trouble-makers. The first one went very well, but the second one was a disaster. Little Sylvia jumped just as I came down on her lower beak with the clippers. Blood gushed like a faucet, and nothing would staunch it. I tried direct pressure, corn starch, and then just let her bleed, hoping it would stop at some point.

I won't go into all the details, but she will be fine. But I really need some more Bumpa-bits. It's a given now that feather picking is hopeless, and there is no cure for it, but re-homing or killing. But the outlet that sells the Bumpa-bit small size for hens, Omlet, won't ship to the US. I asked them, so that's that.

There is a way, though. If anyone from Europe is reading this, please, PLEASE PM me if you think you can help me by making the purchase for me and mailing it to me.

We're a big, big family of BYCers. If we can't help each other, then there really is no hope.

Awesome, Lacy! There's strength in this place! Maybe this could be a start of supplying the needs of BYC'rs who are dealing with this heart-breaking problem.

Keep checking back here for information on how this project is going. I also posted over at the "Managing" forum. Keep this topic on the first page so we get the views and a bigger chance to solve this problem. If we all put our heads together, we can come up with a way to get these Bumpa-bits to those of us in the US who desperately need them. What we need is someone from a European country who is willing to make the purchase and send it to us here, and I will try to distribute them. I know the monetary exchange will present a slight problem, but we'll solve it somehow.

Again, the only ones available at this time are the ones sold on e-Bay, but they're either counterfeit or designed for turkeys, not standard hens, and therefore are useless. Do NOT buy them!

I just researched the money exchange problem, which turns out not to be any problem. I'm already registered with a PayPal account. Our European friend need only register for a PayPal account, too, and we can make the exchange. Dollars to Euros, no sweat! You buy the bits from Omlet, let us know what you spent, and I'll reimburse you through a Pay Pal money wire with dollars turned into euros.

Last edited:
We're getting the Bumpa-bits! Who wants some? PM me with the number you need and your mailing info. Take into account your future needs since this is a one-time import.

The ones we're getting are the shorter bit. The longer bit is counterfeit and doesn't fit a standard hen's beak properly. You will need to buy snap-ring pliers to install the device. These can be found at most hardware stores and aren't expensive. They hold the prongs of the bit apart so you can slip the device onto the hen's beak holes. Mine came with interchangeable heads so you can find the right one to do the job easiest.

Last edited:
Forco Colorado to the rescue... again?

I found a supplier in the US, the only problem is you have to buy a minimum of 500, probably more than most of you need. So, I bought 500 and they will be available through me in about a week, I haven't figured out the pricing yet, but it will probably be around $2.00 to $2.50 each plus shipping. I might even try to figure out a way to make a video of the installation.

Don't forget Forco!!

Jim Rea

thumbsup.gif

I am so relieved to find this thread (albeit a novel)-- I too am in Colorado with a similar problem with the girls beating each other up. I initially thought it was possible they were plagued with lice or mites (this is my first year). However, after taking two of the eight girls to a vet in Golden I found out that basically "mean girls suck." The once beautiful hens are now suffering from broken feathers and bald patches all over their bodies. They are delighted with organic feed, kale, yogurt, meal worms, BOSS, a few hours out of the coop to free range but continue to mutilate one another. I do see some of the pecking however, I am not too sure if the missing feathers on their chests are self induced or possibly caused by another hen.

I sent out an APB to my neighbors with chickens via our homeowners newsletter looking for the chicken whisperer. There were a few replies and some willing to cook 'em up to take them off my hands. Unfortunately, I have fallen in love with the girls and could never serve up "Princess Buttercup" for a family feast.

Perhaps misery loves company--I am just glad I am not the only one out there with mangy looking birds looking for a way to eliminate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom