I think I found a miracle cure for feather picking

In fact, Flo and her BFF Joycie do spend every morning together in the isolated section I call the "jail". Since they are forbidden by the flock to eat until everyone else has had their fill, I put a small dish of their food in this enclosure so they can quench their overnight hunger without being hammered. I set the bowl down in the enclosure, call, "Joycie! Flo!" and the two of them poke their heads out from under the coop, look around cautiously to make sure the coast is reasonably clear, then make a mad dash for the jail where I stand ready to shut the gate against any enemies who try to follow them.

The problem, I've found, with allowing them to remain for long in "protective custody" is that the flock begins to consider them to be outsiders, and when they do get released, they're beat up worse than ever.

That said, I'm back to announce that Flo has not picked any feathers, namely Joycie's, since I yelled at her for it a couple weeks ago. Flo absolutely does know her name and responds to it by looking up when I say it. When I yell it forcefully, it appears to really affect her. When I yell at my cat for doing something I don't want him to do, he responds in a similar fashion - shock and guilt at being reprimanded. It works to halt the obnoxious behavior. Flo is very smart. Could she also be capable of being disciplined?

Feather loss is one of the questions that new chicken owners confront. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems whenever a new egg poses feather loss issues the responses focus on inadequate diet, pests, predators, overcrowding or other stress issues. And when you know those are not your case, then you get left without an answer.

But this thread may be the one that can help find similarities in those who pull feathers and find a solution. This is a great thread and I hope it can continue to get responses that will find a solution.

caf.gif
It took quite some time to catch up, and there are so many ideas in this thread, think I'll get more coffee and start over and take notes!

Glad you found it of some benefit. Many chicken people tend to rely on cliches as an answer to problems, rather than trying to approach a problem from different angles, as if chickens weren't the complex individuals we've come to learn they are.

The cause of a problem in one chicken may have a different cause in another, thus requiring different solutions. I do wish it was as simple as a "miracle cure".

My serial picker Flo was caught picking her BFF's neck feathers yesterday. I literally screamed, "Flo!" And after looking up at me, pausing for a few seconds, she took another stab at Joycie's neck. I again screamed, "Flo!" She stopped, looked at me, and left Joycie's neck alone for the remainder of the afternoon.

I do spend a lot of time in the run with my chickens, and I realize other people don't have this "luxury". But perhaps chickens can be disciplined like dogs and cats with stern vocals. At least Flo appears to respond to it.

Glad you found it of some benefit. Many chicken people tend to rely on cliches as an answer to problems, rather than trying to approach a problem from different angles, as if chickens weren't the complex individuals we've come to learn they are.

The cause of a problem in one chicken may have a different cause in another, thus requiring different solutions. I do wish it was as simple as a "miracle cure".

My serial picker Flo was caught picking her BFF's neck feathers yesterday. I literally screamed, "Flo!" And after looking up at me, pausing for a few seconds, she took another stab at Joycie's neck. I again screamed, "Flo!" She stopped, looked at me, and left Joycie's neck alone for the remainder of the afternoon.

I do spend a lot of time in the run with my chickens, and I realize other people don't have this "luxury". But perhaps chickens can be disciplined like dogs and cats with stern vocals. At least Flo appears to respond to it.
She may be your problem, but sounds like Flo has lots of personality.

I think I finally have it all figured out…chickens are each a truly unique personality, just like people and cats. Bet there will never be the answer to all picking, but it doesn't hurt to keep trying.

For now, my feather picking Buff Orpington is broody AGAIN, but at least she will not be pulling feathers and maybe I'll get to see the fluff butts again before she is over it and rejoins the flock.

RE: cliche answers, glad I'm not the only one who notices.

Hi everyone! I found this thread and read through the whole thing. I have a serial feather picker and finally broke down and bought pinless peepers. Hopefully they will be here by Friday (my day off) and I can get them on. I tried to buy them locally but not one single farm store carries them. They all looked at me like I was crazy, lol. Apparently if they have a problem chicken it goes to freezer camp. I tried everything else there is to try, except to cull, which I can not do, although I sometimes understand why its done.

I sure hope these peepers work. It is starting to get cold and they need to be able to grow their feathers back. I don't supply heat in the coop and prefer not to. I worry about fire and I bought a cold tolerant breed because of that. Hard to be cold tolerant when you're missing your feathers though :eek:(

I "thought" that they didn't grow their feathers back until they molt, but I guess that is wrong information I was given. It must be that she is picking any new feathers as soon as they grow back?
Whenever I use anti picking lotion or blue kote she just moves over to an area that doesn't have any of that stuff on it.
he.gif

I am thinking I will just put the peepers on the offender only. Do you guys think that's a good idea or should I just put them on everyone so no one is "different'?

Fingers crossed and I'll post pics later.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't think it's incorrect that some don't regrow until a molt. I'm not doubting your habitual picker, but I have a hen who has been half bald since last summer (2013) and is just growing feathers in the last week. I don't have pickers thank God, just want you to know it is possible.

I had a similar issue with two of my birds. I also purchased the clips from someone in Australia. I didn't use them. I gave them extra protein in the form or cooked chicken or scramble eggs. I removed them from the population for 1 week fed them protein ,It took a week but the behavior stopped. Good luck

In reference to feathers growing back, there are two categories. If the perverse picker plucked feathers cleanly out by the roots, they will grow back before molt. If the villain merely broke them off above the skin, they won't grow back until the victim molts.

Kouros, feather picking seems to be interrupted by changes in routine, but beware it may be fleeting, and the behavior may resume.

Just today, among the Fearless Four, the Sussex thugs who warrant their own pen, they're such bad@#$%^, Geobett has resumed her evil, feather picking. Actually, she began with me, pecking my hand whenever it got near her beak. Today she is liberating feathers. Peepers will be installed before the day is over, though the device has limited effect on her.

Flo is also resuming feather picking, although she does respond to my hollering at her to stop. At least temporarily. It's Joycie's "Gaack!" that alerts me, as Flo doesn't dare molest anyone but her.

I'd love for everyone who has joined this thread to watch to see if feather picking seems to be a seasonal occurrence in their flocks. Is it ramping up after having been dormant all summer or whatever the season is where you live?

Something I noticed last year when I culled a bird that was grabbing feathers... when I cleaned her out and cleaned out her gizzard, I noticed that some feathers had made holes in the gizzard lining. That was quite amazing as that's a pretty tough membrane! At least I think the feathers made the holes, there were feathers in the holes but they could have just found their way there with the gizzards grinding and moving everything around.

I'm pretty sure that holes in the gizzards could really cause some internal problems.

but her.

I'd love for everyone who has joined this thread to watch to see if feather picking seems to be a seasonal occurrence in their flocks. Is it ramping up after having been dormant all summer or whatever the season is where you live?
Bet it stops when they all have bare butts or bare on places the picker likes…and she'll start up again when those feathers start to grow back?

Back
Top Bottom