I think I got my hen to take care of my new chicks!

Have you ever done this before and had success?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daisychicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Florida
So I am not sure about this. So I have an australorp who is GIANT! She is one of my chickens that didn't get as much attention as the others she is more shy. So its like 5 am and the baby chicks were really cold. So I put them in one of the nesting boxes, and thought that one of my hens could keep them warm. So all of my older hens are really mean to baby chickens. So this hen hasn't laid yet, she stayed with them and stuff and didn't peck at them. So she sayed with them so far but do you think she will continue to stay with them and protect them. Also I heard it was a horomone release that causes broodiness (and I guess for motherhood too) So does anyone know if this will happen.
Update: I just checked again and they are still out there, but not like a mother ould be, theyre just by each other

Last edited:
How old are the chicks? You said they were cold do you not have a brooder for them?

You may get lucky but if she isn't even broody you are probably more likely to get dead chicks.

I have read of it working but it is day or two old chicks snuck under a broody hen so they think their eggs hatched.

They are one month old, they have feathers, and the reason they were cold because it's the early morning. So also she was being nice, nicer than the other hens. Also she is like 5-6 months old but It's weird why she isn't laying yet. Also is it a horomone that makes them broody.

Back
Top Bottom