I think my chick is lethargic!

Lancer0474

Hatching
Mar 10, 2024
My chick was the only one that lived out of our 4 chicks, and now they are acting strange! They wont walk, opens their eyes, I've had to give them water and food with my hands!!! It must have gotten to cold last night or something, that's why the other 3 had died! I had a heat lamp in the place they stayed!
What do i do?? Im worried!

There's only one chick left? How old and where did you get it? Was it eating and drinking before?

What specifically is the temperature in the warmest area of the brooder? In the coolest area?
Im not sure of the temperature part, but yes their is only one chick left, 3 days old, and pratts pets, the biggest mistake was letting my mother keep the incubation chamber outside with the older chickens, because i felt like something bad was gonna happen, and it was a cold night when we had found them.

Can you get a thermometer and get a reading? Any photos of the brooder set up? How cold is it at night where the brooder is located?
Im unsure of what a brooder is, i right now have the chick in my bedroom under a UV lamp in a small cage, im going to get a better one very soon using some money i saved up, anyways i do know the temp outside without a uv lamp can go into the 50s or 40s at night, i live in AZ so im hoping that helps.

A brooder is a box to contain chicks with their heat source so they don't wander off and get lost. In this case you're using a cage, but without measurements or a photo I don't know if there's improvements I can suggest on that front.

Does the UV lamp actually heat up? I have no idea. How hot does it feel when you place your hand at chick level directly under the lamp? Do you have any incandescent bulbs you can use instead?

Without a temperature reading I can only guess that your brooder isn't warm enough and the chicks died from cold.

A brooder is a box to contain chicks with their heat source so they don't wander off and get lost. In this case you're using a cage, but without measurements or a photo I don't know if there's improvements I can suggest on that front.

Does the UV lamp actually heat up? I have no idea. How hot does it feel when you place your hand at chick level directly under the lamp? Do you have any incandescent bulbs you can use instead?

Without a temperature reading I can only guess that your brooder isn't warm enough and the chicks died from cold.
What i know from my mother is that 2 of them fell out, the other died unexpectedly, i can send a photo of the cage in a moment

Back
Top Bottom