I think my chick is lethargic!

Alternatively if you have a heating pad that doesn't automatically shut off, those work great to provide heat for chicks.
I don't have one, but thanks for the suggestion

Attachments

• IMG_20240310_233957_325.jpg
    IMG_20240310_233957_325.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 6
I don't have one, but thanks for the suggestion
It's small but the bars look like they should keep the chick contained at least (measure if you can, but ideally they should be around 1/2" or less). Where is the heat, the black dome on the top? Where is the water, the hamster bottle? If that's it, have you seen any chick actually use it to drink?

Another alternative heat source (but you will need to continue to replenish it) would be hot water in a bottle, wrapped in a small towel or other piece of cloth that's tightly secured to it. But you're going to need to get up every couple of hours to put in hot water.

It's small but the bars look like they should keep the chick contained at least (measure if you can, but ideally they should be around 1/2" or less). Where is the heat, the black dome on the top? Where is the water, the hamster bottle? If that's it, have you seen any chick actually use it to drink?

Another alternative heat source (but you will need to continue to replenish it) would be hot water in a bottle, wrapped in a small towel or other piece of cloth that's tightly secured to it. But you're going to need to get up every couple of hours to put in hot water.
The Dome is the heat Source it's a UV lamp and it works pretty well it's very hot so I have it high up all the way from the chick, I don't use that hamster bottle for water cuz I don't think that's going to work for the chick my mom does though so I'm using a small tub for the water, my friend thinks it has low muscles in its legs and says I should use a splint and it isn't lethargic and it's just tired, but I'm not sure and I'm still worried worried. (In the picture the chick is sleeping I made sure don't worry, I'm just holding in my hand in a tissue for right now so it doesn't poop on me)

Attachments

• IMG_20240311_000404_713.jpg
    IMG_20240311_000404_713.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 4
Well considering 3 others already died I am concerned about this one as that doesn't look like a healthy chick sleeping.

If at all possible, get a thermometer tomorrow (or ask your mom to get one, even a cheap one is fine) and get a reading directly under the heat and inside the brooder away from the heat.

One other thing with the UV light, do you know if it's teflon free? Some bulbs can be coated in teflon to make them harder to shatter but if teflon is overheated it can release fumes that birds are sensitive to and can kill them quickly.

Well considering 3 others already died I am concerned about this one as that doesn't look like a healthy chick sleeping.

If at all possible, get a thermometer tomorrow (or ask your mom to get one, even a cheap one is fine) and get a reading directly under the heat and inside the brooder away from the heat.

One other thing with the UV light, do you know if it's teflon free? Some bulbs can be coated in teflon to make them harder to shatter but if teflon is overheated it can release fumes that birds are sensitive to and can kill them quickly.
Im unsure, I know the chick is probably sick but I'm going to hope the chick is okay and I'm going to check on it every once in awhile, me and my mom had taken care of it for over 2 hours making sure it had water and it was okay and it was awake and all of that, I used a tissue to keep it held up and okay.

I think my chick just died hang on

It's not waking up I keep tapping it and picking it up and moving it but it's not waking up. I think it's dead.

It's not waking up I keep tapping it and picking it up and moving it but it's not waking up. I think it's dead.
I'm sorry to hear that. :( It really didn't look good in that photo as chicks don't sleep looking limp that, plus the beak being open isn't normal either.

I don't know if you and your family are planning to get more chicks but please read up on setting up a brooder before you consider getting more. Namely the heat issue, as too much heat and too little heat are both deadly to chicks. This is a very basic article but it covers heat and the danger of teflon bulbs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/

I'm sorry to hear that. :( It really didn't look good in that photo as chicks don't sleep looking limp that, plus the beak being open isn't normal either.

I don't know if you and your family are planning to get more chicks but please read up on setting up a brooder before you consider getting more. Namely the heat issue, as too much heat and too little heat are both deadly to chicks. This is a very basic article but it covers heat and the danger of teflon bulbs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens.47691/
Thank you, Right now it's only breathing, its definitely dying though, im going to do more research on chicks, we have had some before but they where a bit older.

Thank you, Right now it's only breathing, its definitely dying though, im going to do more research on chicks, we have had some before but they where a bit older.
Yeah younger chicks are much more vulnerable to heat and cold issues because they don't have feathers to help them regulate their own body temperature. I hope if you try again you take advantage of all the information on this site so hopefully you can improve your set up.

Back
Top Bottom