I think i have 3 roosters...

Kristencardany

Chirping
Mar 25, 2020
Dutchess County, NY
So I bought 12 baby chicks weeks back.. 5 from agway and 7 from TSC... not sexed. Now that they're 9 and 7 weeks old I think I have 3 roosters.. one silkie is huge and has thick legs and a big comb and wattles where the other 2 dont, also looks like he has streamers on his head at 9 weeks. The other is a porcelain d'uccle which has a big dark pinkish comb at 9 weeks. The last is a black cochin which has a bright red comb and wattles already at 7 weeks- where the other cochins same age have pinkish combs and no wattles yet. Will post pics later. What is the best thing to do with them I definitely cant keep all 3 it might be too noisy for neighbors and which of the 3 would most likely be the quietest rooster? The cochin is the friendliest of the 3 and loves to come running right out and hang out with me where the other 2 are stand offish and scream when I try to pick them up or hold them. I personally will not kill them that's out of the question.

Wow, 3/12 is pretty good for straight run!
As far as your options, you can give them away to a local farm or put an ad on Craigslist or on the forums here, but do keep in mind most people will not take them for pets -although some people do need a roo for their flock, so there’s a chance.
Regardless, it’s kind of you to think of the noise level for your neighbors sake.
I will say no rooster is quiet per se lol, and I’m not sure which would be the quietest, you’d have to wait and see til they crow.
Personally I would not keep a rooster who seems friendly now, they often become aggressive. It seems counterintuitive, but if they do not have a healthy respect for humans they may challenge them.
Good luck!

20200518_082403.jpg

20200518_082256.jpg

20200518_082654.jpg

So I bought 12 baby chicks weeks back.. 5 from agway and 7 from TSC... not sexed. Now that they're 9 and 7 weeks old I think I have 3 roosters.. one silkie is huge and has thick legs and a big comb and wattles where the other 2 dont, also looks like he has streamers on his head at 9 weeks. The other is a porcelain d'uccle which has a big dark pinkish comb at 9 weeks. The last is a black cochin which has a bright red comb and wattles already at 7 weeks- where the other cochins same age have pinkish combs and no wattles yet. Will post pics later. What is the best thing to do with them I definitely cant keep all 3 it might be too noisy for neighbors and which of the 3 would most likely be the quietest rooster? The cochin is the friendliest of the 3 and loves to come running right out and hang out with me where the other 2 are stand offish and scream when I try to pick them up or hold them. I personally will not kill them that's out of the question.
I think all of that is hard to tell till maturity. I had a very nice silkie that turned into the spawn of satan at maturity. He would come after my kids from 1/2 acre away

and some are quieter then others

Back
Top Bottom