I think I have a case of Merek’s on my hands. Long post - please read.

I’m just lucky this local vet has such a small fee for emergency services because I wouldn’t have been able to do this otherwise. If she makes it, I’ll probably be paying about $175 or so for everything. So I can’t complain.
I just want to know what’s going on. I’m such a control freak so I hate not understanding these things lol

On a more positive note, here’s some of my sassy birds.
Almost all of them have started moulting. My poor cinnamon queen and not pictured Easter egger are gettin a little ugly LOL

856EC6CE-B2B7-4C26-824D-C22CA11D0FD0.jpeg
3593AB5A-C440-4EF7-A641-95709683621C.jpeg

Sorry about your very sick hen. I would agree that it sounds like you may be dealing with Mareks. As others have said, it can present with signs of poor immunity, and may look different in each birds it affects. Many times a necropsy will have obvious tumors along the gut and liver or other organs. The usual way to diagnose it is by testing the feather shafts and any tumor tissue with a PCR test.

Unfortunately in many states, they are too expensive with necropsies and testing. Too bad more states are not like Georgia and California, and other states who offer low cost necropsies.

Sorry about your very sick hen. I would agree that it sounds like you may be dealing with Mareks. As others have said, it can present with signs of poor immunity, and may look different in each birds it affects. Many times a necropsy will have obvious tumors along the gut and liver or other organs. The usual way to diagnose it is by testing the feather shafts and any tumor tissue with a PCR test.

Unfortunately in many states, they are too expensive with necropsies and testing. Too bad more states are not like Georgia and California, and other states who offer low cost necropsies.

I agree that is it absolutely ridiculous to charge $130 for a necropsy. Additionally the state lab is two hours from me. I’m from Georgia actually, just another thing to love about that state (besides taxes).

I’m thinking it may be the visceral / neurological representation of the disease and now some kind of respiratory issue has taken over due to her being so weak.

I know that my entire flock has been exposed if it is the dreaded Mereks. Ill have oxine come in between the 2nd-5th. Besides the disinfection using that in the coop. Do you recommend anything else to make sure my birds are in optimum health so they don’t succumb to it?

I’ll start by answering those questions that are generally required for more knowledge of my situation, following by a curious further explanation of what’s going on.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
- black jersey giant, just under a year. EXTREMELY underweight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Was eating and drinking fine until yesterday. Depressed. Lethargic, and now is unable to stand.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
- I noticed something was off about a week ago and it has only gotten so much worse.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
- No, however, her sister died of very similar symptoms in June.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
- no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
- none
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
- I’ve been giving her eggs, and all sorts of higher protein treats and feed. She was eating and drinking fine until yesterday.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
- Runny, almost purely water (partly due to the fact that she was drinking EXCESSIVE amounts of water for about 3 days). Greenish, sometimes yellowish.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
- I did a corid treatment due to seeingn some bubbly frothy poop earlier in the week and gave her 1cc of duramycin for four days.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
- treatment really isn’t an option now. My vet is booked until Monday and she won’t make it. I can not afford an emergency vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
- ok
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

- large coop, pine shavings.

This is why I think I’m dealing with Mereks. Her comb is darkened. She has a classic wing under her pose with one leg stretched out. Greenish / eatery diarrhea and extreme weight loss. Her sister (whom they were both gotten from the same Hatchery exhibited similar symptoms. We culled her after a week. This bird seems like it’s going to die today. She won’t open her eyes or move at all. If I try to balance or stand her up, she falls over. She has discharge now coming from her nose. Clear / watery. No rattling or wheezing. Very lethargic and no longer eating or drinking. Her sister, however did not experience quite the same paralysis and just seemed extremely weak, underweight, poor condition and growth. None of my other birds have any symptoms.
I practice good husbandry, I clean out my coop daily, rake drippings in the yard, etc.

I’ve read online to purchase oxine asnit is a good disinfectant to use. Thoughts on this?

I guess I sort of just would like some input. I am going to ask my vet if he can do a necropsy for me.
I’m aware if it is mereks that my entire flock has been exposed and I need advice for the best measures to take.

She is now separated, in my tub with towels surrounding her because it’s very cold outside. She is very unresponsive at this point and does not open her eyes. I’ve tried to leave her be in the quiet. If she has not passed by tomorrow, we will cull.
I’m going to include some pictures from a few days ago and now. I’m not interested in forms of treatment, I’m interested in knowing best practice if this is indeed mereks I’m dealing with going forward and basically just the best ways to keep up good immunity in my remaining flock. View attachment 1544322 View attachment 1544323 View attachment 1544324 View attachment 1544325 Thanks for taking the time to read this.
her eyes have discharge too

Update - vet just got to her, as he’s working with her between surgeries.

She’s been on fluids and they are trying to get some protein and such into her. He’s about to run some examinations. Said she’s perked up a bit and is much more alert.

Another update - he definitely feels like this is a nasty parasite or bacterial infection. She is on IV fluids, steroids and antibiotics. They are hoping for a stool sample but she is not eating, so they are forcing her to. They will give an update in the morning.

He also told me he is unsure why decal float from the vet I used previously came back clean. He said there’s no way.

Prognosis is meek. They are very concerned with her weight and condition.

Another update - he definitely feels like this is a nasty parasite or bacterial infection. She is on IV fluids, steroids and antibiotics. They are hoping for a stool sample but she is not eating, so they are forcing her to. They will give an update in the morning.

He also told me he is unsure why decal float from the vet I used previously came back clean. He said there’s no way.

Prognosis is meek. They are very concerned with her weight and condition.
:(

Back
Top Bottom