I think i have a problem...

MACCanadianCoop

The last Saskatchewan pirate ☠️
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2022
Central Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
My local bylaws limit me to 5 hens. I have 6 pullets arriving in September. And I'm thinking how great it would be to order hatching eggs if one of my ladies ever goes broody.

I don't even have my coop and run built yet! :lau

My local bylaws limit me to 5 hens. I have 6 pullets arriving in September. And I'm thinking how great it would be to order hatching eggs if one of my ladies ever goes broody.

I don't even have my coop and run built yet! :lau
The bylaws should keep you in check. You will regret breaking them if you get caught and have to remove the excess hens or have them tell you that you can't have any of them because you aren't abiding by the law.
I have a soft spot for my broodies and try to let a new hen hatch each year but I do NOT want to grow my flock. Quite the contrary, I want it smaller. But I will wait for that to happen naturally.
I have a broody now that I will break but when I get back from vacation, I intend to let her set 4 eggs. I will advertise the entire brood for sale. Whoever wants them has to take ALL of them when mom kicks them to the curb.
This is a good way of having your cake and eating it too.

Why are they arriving so late in the year??? Don't you want to start in spring or summer?? I know you live in warmer area but Sept is getting cold, I live in Wpg so not as cold but don't you want to be outside with them in the summer and they need to get outside when its warm. plus My coop is a 1977 15ft trailer. You can use anything

Why are they arriving so late in the year??? Don't you want to start in spring or summer?? I know you live in warmer area but Sept is getting cold, I live in Wpg so not as cold but don't you want to be outside with them in the summer and they need to get outside when its warm. plus My coop is a 1977 15ft trailer. You can use anything
Earliest I could get them from the hatchery, unfortunately. I'm not prepared to raise chicks, or I could have them tomorrow, probably.

The bylaws should keep you in check. You will regret breaking them if you get caught and have to remove the excess hens or have them tell you that you can't have any of them because you aren't abiding by the law.
I have a soft spot for my broodies and try to let a new hen hatch each year but I do NOT want to grow my flock. Quite the contrary, I want it smaller. But I will wait for that to happen naturally.
I have a broody now that I will break but when I get back from vacation, I intend to let her set 4 eggs. I will advertise the entire brood for sale. Whoever wants them has to take ALL of them when mom kicks them to the curb.
Oh I agree, I'm not *actually* planning to go outside the laws too much just thinking about it. Cuz chicks are freaking adorable

By the way, I'm in awe of your amazing coop!

Back
Top Bottom