I think I have Silkies - help me identify?

Lorus6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
East Texas
I bought 4 chicks at the feed store to go with the Aracauna chick that was the lone hatch from 12 eggs. One feed store employee thought they were bantys, another employee said Americaunas... I knew they weren't Americaunas - but I'd love to know what they are. After reading lots of posts, I know they are a silkie of some kind - they have 5 toes, feathered feet, and are obviously fuzzy. Here are photos of them at 5 days and at 5 weeks: Any ideas what these are? Are they going to be smaller than my other chickens or full size?

5 days old (the dark one in the center is my hatched baby, he is 4 days younger):

5 week old pictures:
Nano: She is reddish-gold, but has black stripes on feathers near her tail and on her wings(see next photo:)

Pearl started out light yellow, but I think she will be pure white:

Camo (This is my hatched baby - should be an Aracauna

Lady Cluck - she is the same reddish gold as Nano and also has the striped feathers near her tail and on wings:

Spots - is a slightly darker reddish gold with no striping.Her nose is red just above her beak. She had spots on the back of her head at birth, but now is a solid color.

3 buff and one white ! good find. silkies are just smaller the regular chicks like yours. they say banty and large fowl but mostly they are a bit smaller. very gentle chickens . they will get along with yours.

X2 for the silkies, your araucana is an easter egger. Araucanas are rumpless and can be clean faced or tufted but not muffed, which yours has muffs. Yours also looks to have a single comb, does it?

X2 for the silkies, your araucana is an easter egger. Araucanas are rumpless and can be clean faced or tufted but not muffed, which yours has muffs. Yours also looks to have a single comb, does it?
I don't know about the comb... I'm not even sure how to tell
hmm.png

A friend gave me the eggs to hatch after her rooster died. The eggs were green. I will have to learn what tufted and muffed and rumpless mean. I am learning soo much!!!!
big_smile.png

3 buff and one white ! good find. silkies are just smaller the regular chicks like yours. they say banty and large fowl but mostly they are a bit smaller. very gentle chickens . they will get along with yours.
Yay! I am so glad they are gentle. We have been careful to get friendly, gentle breeds and have had wonderful success with adding new chickens to older chickens. I would hate to have messed that up, but I needed Camo to have some 'siblings' since none of the other eggs hatched. The feed store had just received their last shipment of chicks for the season so I had to take what they had!
smile.png

Now, I just need to learn more about Silkies!

Three Buff Silkies and one White Silkie. It is too young to tell gender with them. Your Araucana looks like a pretty Easter Egger, and is looking like a pullet for now.

Three Buff Silkies and one White Silkie. It is too young to tell gender with them. Your Araucana looks like a pretty Easter Egger, and is looking like a pullet for now.
I'm hoping Camo - the Easter Egger - is a pullet! The Silkies are supposed to be pullets too, but since the feed store people didn't know what they were - I guess we will see...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom