I think I have some roosters... help me figure out who is making those 6am noises!

CAmamateacher

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
I think I have some roos in my little flock. They are all around 13 weeks old. I'm hearing lots of noise each morning and no eggs yet, so I think they're practicing their rooster skills.

And this black frizzle is pretty fearless... no fear of our pug what so ever... jumps right out of the run and gets in the pug's face... I'm guessing that's a bad sign... if you were hoping for a hen.

Ruby: frizzle

Henrietta: lavender ameraucana

(Lucy: left) (Mille: middle) (Ruby: right)

Dotti: black and white

Thank you for your help!

Thank you! So it's okay that the frizzle and lavender seem to have budding, darker combs coming in?

Well, I would say Mille is a rooster for sure. As for the others, I think you're still kind of wait and see. Often a pullet's comb reddens up before she begins to lay. Do they have any saddle or hackle feathers coming in? I can't tell from the pictures.

Last edited:
Henrietta, Ruby and Mille look to be males. Lucy and Dotti are females.
smile.png

I have been spying on them and I have seen Ruby, Henrietta, and Mille all make crazy noises in the morning hours. The roosters up the street do their thing and then lots of noises from our yard. I am so sad. I bought six baby chicks to have 5 roosters. What the heck are the chances? haha! Thank you! :)

I have been spying on them and I have seen Ruby, Henrietta, and Mille all make crazy noises in the morning hours. The roosters up the street do their thing and then lots of noises from our yard. I am so sad. I bought six baby chicks to have 5 roosters. What the heck are the chances? haha! Thank you! :)
Seems like you got my luck.
tongue.png
I once hatched a dozen eggs, and what do you know it? They ALL turned out to be males.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom