I think I have to get rid of my rooster chick and Im sad.

MydearWatson

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
CT
I have 5 seven week old chicks, they are still in the brooder in my house and I just love them to pieces. They all have names and are my pets for sure. I have one I know is a roo but I am going to try and keep him. However, I have another one I am 75% sure is a roo and I think I am going to give him back to the breeder. He is the alpha and can be slightly aggressive at times, even with the hens. But I love him and he has such a cool personality. He will come when I call him by name and he is very protective of the flock, a super smart bird. My flock is like a little family; they all still sleep in a huddle and if one is missing they cry until they are all together again. That said, I never even wanted one roo but I am going to give it a try since I have what seems to be a sweet, quieter one. But I dont want two. I am just SO SAD about it and cant even think about putting him in a box and he will be in a new home. Can anyone relate?

I ordered 15 BO pullets. Got 16. Five week old Rooroo is so sweet and cute and the pullets all love him. He already takes on the kitten that likes to play "WILD AMERICA" with them. He has to go. I sold 5 pullets and 5 more are leaving soon. Anchorage says No Roosters and I like my neighbors. They are pretty cool with my insane little household, but Rooroo would push them over the edge. Sad thing is. I know he is gonna get eaten
sad.png
I am going to ask my vet about "debarking" him first though.
roll.png

I've often wondered if neutering roosters would keep them from crowing. I know that capons (SP?) are castrated males. I husband asked our country vet if she knew anyone that did it and she suggested with check with the Amish community. Still haven't done it but may be more motivated when my chicks mature. I have no more places to have bachelor roosters at my place. I'll have to work on being OK for others to eat them, I guess.

I have 5 chicks and 3 turned out to be roos. I like them all and I'm not sure what to do right now. I'm keeping them all for now until I have a reason not too. I guess I'll wait until that reason comes which I'm dreading. I wouldn't feel so bad if I can find them a good home as a "pet" and not dinner.

Back
Top Bottom