I think I have too many chickens.

All about the EGG

Songster
12 Years
I definately dont want to jinx myself, bought we bought five sex links to allow for "shrinkage." They are all doing well, but the coop I feel wont be big enough if the all make it out there. I just realized this.

I bought a "my little playhouse" from Lowes when they went cheap a couple months ago. 4x4 minus a 1x4 area for a poop tray. That leaves 12sq. ft. I must have gotten the square footage mixed up when buying.

You can never have too many chickens. Start building on to the playhouse...I have a 12x10 playhouse that was mine when I was a kid that we are turning into a coop. I know I need to build on. I have 8 out there. 12 in the garage. 7 in my bedroom and 13 in the incubator. I know I'll keep getting em too!

As Greenmulberry says you are brooding them together they might be o.k.

1) make sure you have enough perches for everybody to roost

2) make the run outside bigger & have an area of the run covered so they can go out in all weather

I would also say use hardware cloth not chicken wire! make the run preditor proof so you can leave open

I reread your post to see how many chickens were to many!

I think you will be fine!

Sexlinks are on the small size compared to many other breeds.

Just make sure everyone has space to roost (being they were brooded together they proubly all roost together)
& part of run is covered for access in any weather

Joanne

Back
Top Bottom