I think I have too much ventilation??

Squawkbox

Songster
8 Years
Dec 25, 2011
My incubator is a still air homemade (thick styrofoam, not a purchased one) that was built by my dad. It isn't sealed the greatest but does the job. Anyways, along with a little air flow through the seals, the lid doesn't fit perfectly just sort of sits on top. Then on top of that I have many vent holes about a half an inch in diameter. 4 on the top and 3 on each side and 3 on the back. None on the front. I've got a 40 watt bulb in there and it keeps it about 101-102 with the occasional spike.

With my last batch (first time incubating) I had 10 eggs in there and 8 had pips, only one got out on it's own and just barely. The rest just made no progress, so eventually I helped them all, all were shrinkwrapped with only their beaks out of the membrane, the membrane was almost white and just completely stuck to them. Humidity was about 30-35% for the first 18 days and 65-70 the last 3.
There is no fan or humidifier outside the incubator that would cause air flow, so what the heck, is ventilation the problem?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I would think 101 to 102 would be a little high and could be part of the problem. I incubate mine at 99.5. Normally I would say if there are too many holes, maybe the humidity isn't high enough because it is escaping through the holes, but the levels you report don't seem too bad. However, my humidity usually hangs around the 40's for the first 18 days.

40 watt is the only bulb that keeps the temp pretty spot on with a few highs and lows but I need the holes open to keep it that way. Ugh I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I close the vents the temperature will be through the roof but a 20 watt won't get high enough even with the vents all closed.
Maybe I should just buy and incubator lol.

You could add another socket and use a couple of 15 watt appliance bulbs for a total of 30 watts.

Back
Top Bottom