I think I may have screwed up here....

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
I bought a st run mix of heavy breeds from MMH-figured I would keep some to lay, some to eat. Except I didnt realize there was different processing times for the different breeds, and I dont know what breeds I ahve! I know I have some barred rocks, some turkens...then I have some that are mostly white with grey tips and a bit of yellow, some that are all gold (I know they arent buff orpingtons though because those were backordered) and some that are mostly white with big black streaks int heir feathers. So how on earth do I know who to process when? can I just go by how meaty they feel? I wanted some for fryers, some for roasters, just to make it more confusing! Also, I am cnsidering butchering some of the weeder geese-I really have too many-makes for a lot of poop on the lawn, and they are looking awfully tasty...when do you do geese? Are their certain kinds you DONT eat? These guys look a lot like the brown Chinese, but they dont have th ehump on their heads...

THere is no SET time limit - I don't do meat birds, so I can't give you a guestimate.... go by how they feel when you hold them.

How do I tell when to process them as fryers or roasters though? More meaty for roasters?

if you look at some of the posts on here that have titles "dual purpose" in it, there are alot of answers to some of your questions, i believe.

Most dual purpose birds are processed at about 12 weeks. They really won't ever get to be the true "roasters" that you might be used to seeing. They just are not going to put on the meat that the broiler/roaster bred chicken will. I have some cornish x as well as 30 New Hampshire cockerals that will be headed to the freezer. I feed them broiler feed just like the cornish get (22.5 percent protein) which they eat from start to finish. No need to switch feeds. They are much bigger and heavier than their pullet sisters that are the same exact age from the same exact hatchery. And they are only 2.5 weeks old! If you want them meaty, treat them that way from the start! Yes, broiler feed is more expensive. However, time is money when growing these birds and you want to make sure they gain as much as geneticly possible.

Don't fret, you can eat every chicken!
wink.png

Jane

ok then...another dumb question....is broiler feed the same as grower? I have had them on starter, and was planning on switching to grower next...what is the protein difference?

Quote:
Well, Greyfields who is like The Man on the meat birds thread uses for his own table the meat birds he does't choose to sell for various economic/market driven reasons. And he always says they taste just as good those meeting current retail expectations.

You must be doing something right!

smile.png

~Phyllis

Last edited:
You can eat any type of goose - the carcass just won't look as attractive (plump) with some breeds. Even still, with a bird that size you can expect at least a few pounds of meat for your efforts.

The best time to eat goose is when they're 12-18 weeks old. Older birds that I've butchered, including a Chinese cross, are tougher, but still edible. When in doubt make gravy to go with the meat and eat it like a roast
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom